Hazel sorting bank statement to wrong folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel sorting bank statement to wrong folder Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:57 am • by astou
I'm using hazel to automatically rename and file away bank statements that hit my downloads folder. Been working flawlessly for years. However, I recently added a new bank/rule and am having a problem, described below.

I've been using hazel to sort Bank A with account #1234. I use the conditions:

contents -- contain match --- 1234
contents -- contain match --- Date Match (I don't remember why I added this line years ago)

Any time a statement with unique account number 1234 hits my download folder, Hazel files it away to a specified folder.

However, I recently added a new Bank B with account #5678. I used the same rule types:
contents -- contain match --- 5678
contents -- contain match --- Date Match

Problem: Hazel keeps applying Bank A rules to Bank B. Every time I put a Bank B statement into the downloads folder, it renames it to Bank A and files it away to Bank A folders. I figured out the issue: I regularly transfer money from Bank A to Bank B and so Hazel sees Bank A account number as a transaction in the Bank B statement and processes the document as a Bank A document. However, when I disable the Bank A rule, Hazel will properly process it as a Bank B statement. The Bank B 5678 account number is at the top of the page and appears multiple times before the Bank A 1234 account number so I'm not sure why Hazel is processing as Bank A statement. I have the condition set to "match the 1st occurrence" so any time I drop a statement with Bank B 5678 account number Hazel should see the number at the top of the page and process it accordingly.

Any thoughts on this issue?
astou

Can you go through the troubleshooting guide here? https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Report back with the results of that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support