Sort by Subfolder Tag

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sort by Subfolder Tag Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:55 pm • by ArnoVortex
I am sure this is simple but I cannot figure it out. Maybe someone knows how to do this.

I have PDF's that have a tag. I want Hazel to create a subfolder with this tag name and move the PDF file to this folder. I have this working.

Problem is that subsequent PDF files with the same tag (and the subfolder is now already existing) are NOT moved to that subfolder.

The help docs say this:

Click the Options icon to display additional settings:

In the “If file exists” section, select “rename the file,” “replace the existing file,” or “do not upload the file” to tell Hazel how to treat the newly processed file if a file of the same name appears at the destination. Renaming appends a number to the newly processed file.

Select the “Do not copy if a duplicate” checkbox to refrain from copying the file if it is identical to (not merely named the same as) a file at the destination.

But I am not sure how to apply this for my use case.

Anyone willing to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
ArnoVortex

Re: Sort by Subfolder Tag Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:39 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post the rule you have so far? Also, go through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Report back with the results from that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sort by Subfolder Tag Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:54 am • by ArnoVortex
Thanks, I think I have it resolved after looking at it morning with fresh eyes.

The rule contained moving the file to a different folder prior to executing the Sort by Subfolder step. Consequently, the sort rule ran on the wrong folder. Creating a new rule on the destination folder solved the issue.

Thanks for the response.
ArnoVortex

Return to Support