Rule not matching on Hazel 5.2.2 but does on 4.4.5?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have a simple (1 condition) rule watching for the a certain 4 word phrase in a text file.

For context, the folder is in Dropbox and is a mirror of a folder on an ancient Unix Server. The file is actually a printer output spool with some non-standard characters (presumably to tell the printer how to lay it out), but it is readable/editable in a standard text editor (BBEdit).

I do not have more than 1 Mac monitoring the folder at a time, I PAUSE RULES on my new Mac while I check my old Mac will still trigger the rule, and PAUSE on my old Mac while I try & get my new Mac to trigger the rule.

On my old Mac (MacOSX 10.12.6 - Hazel 4.4.5) The rule matches and performs the task
On my new Mac (MacOS 13.4.1 - Hazel 5.5.2) The rule doesn't match, incorrectly stating the contents to be matched are not in the file.

I have tried changing the rule from CONTAINS to CONTAINS MATCH but this doesn't help.

I have unsuccessfully tried running the same rule with the same file in a folder that is not in Dropbox & not mirrored.

Any ideas?

Thanks
MacOCD

Can you go through the troubleshooting guide here? https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thank you,

I actually resolved the matter by creating 2 separate rules.

Rule 1 simply looked to for a .spl extension and then ran a script to strip the non-standard printer code characters

Rule 2 could now successfully detect the text in the spool files to perform the rest of the tasks.

I'm not sure what was in the spool files that prevented Hazel from detecting clear text in there, but I have a solution :)
MacOCD

Return to Support