If you purchased Hazel 4 on or after Jan 1, 2020, you are eligible for a free upgrade. Claim your license here.
If you are running a previous version of Hazel, download the latest version and install it over your current version. Do not uninstall anything.
Once installed, you can either purchase in-app or via the site. Note that if you want to use PayPal, you must use the web store.
To purchase in-app:
- Under the “Hazel” menu, select “License”
- Click “Purchase”
- If your copy was registered for any previous version, it should show you the upgrade option. If it is showing the full version, use the web store or contact support.
- Fill out the fields as prompted.
- When your purchase is complete, your old license will be uploaded for you (to check eligibility) and your new one downloaded.
To purchase via the site:
- Go to web store.
- Enter “1” in the field for the Hazel 5 upgrade. Note that if you have a family pack, you still only need to purchase one upgrade.
- You will be prompted to upload your license file. If you cannot find it:
- Complete your order as indicated.
- When your purchase is complete, you will be presented with links to download the software (if you hadn’t already) and your license file. Once the software is installed, double-click the license file to register the software.
You can purchase a license from directly within Hazel itself (in-app) or via the web store.
The recommended way is to purchase in-app as it is the easiest method. It will automatically download and register your copy for you. Also, if purchasing an upgrade, Hazel’s in-app store will automatically detect if you are eligible and upload your old license for you.
In-app purchase does not support purchasing via PayPal so if that is your preferred payment method then you must use the webstore.
Note that regardless of which store you use, your information is encrypted and safe.
To purchase using the in-app store:
- Go to Hazel’s “Info” section.
- Click on the “Purchase” button.
- Specify which type of license you wish to purchase and then click “Next”
- Fill in your payment info then click “Purchase”
- Hazel will download your license and register your copy. You will also receive an email with your receipt/license file.
To purchase using the web store:
- Navigate to the web store here
- Enter the quantity for the type of license you wish to purchase.
- Select the payment method and then click “Continue”
- Enter your payment info and then click “Place Order”
- You will be presented with links to download the software and your license file. For instructions on how to install Hazel, click here. To register Hazel, click here. Make sure the software is installed before registering.
- You will also receive an email with your receipt/license file.
If you need to restore your Hazel settings and rules from a backup, use this procedure:
- Quit System Preferences.
- Launch Activity Monitor. While in Activity Monitor, do the following:
- Find HazelHelper. Quit HazelHelper.
- Find cfprefsd. Quit any occurrences that you can (some may be for other accounts and you can’t kill them).
- Restore the following:
- In your Library/Application Support folder, the Hazel folder
- In your Library/Preferences folder, the files starting with com.noodlesoft.
If this doesn’t work, contact support.
Here Brooks Duncan at DocumentSnap.com shows how to set up Hazel to create notes in Evernote.
One of many great tutorials from Brooks Duncan over at documentsnap.com. This one shows how to set up a paperless workflow, from scanning your documents and OCR’ing to filing.
Wonderful overview of Hazel’s features from Brooks Duncan for AsianEfficiency.com. Presents a ton of step-by-step examples to get ideas from or get you started.
“Hazel makes everything from tagging and renaming to moving, uploading, and deleting as simple — or complex — as you want it.”
Patrick Lucas Austin