Processing multiple rules for the same file

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Processing multiple rules for the same file Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 am • by nicks089
Hi Everyone,

I have seen a couple of topics posted about the same issue, but I still can't find the answer to the problem.

I have been using Hazel for a few weeks at work, to process files by filename into specific folders, for example:

If any of the following conditions are met:
Name contains "Batman"
Copy to folder "DC"
Continue matching rules
Run rules on folder contents

I also have a rule set up for another file:
Name contains "IronMan"
Copy to folder "Marvel"
Continue matching rules
Run rules on folder contents

Now these run fine individually, however for a file that was called "Batman_IronMan_fight.jpg", it would still only process one of the rules. I want it to copy the file to both folders.

Can someone help?
nicks089

It should work. I suggest going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Also, "Run rules on folder contents" won't work in those rules. See the help on subfolders for a discussion on how to use that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:It should work. I suggest going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Also, "Run rules on folder contents" won't work in those rules. See the help on subfolders for a discussion on how to use that.

Thanks Mr Noodle, I did use this guide to create my rules to begin with. When I run a test on both rules, they match. But when I start Hazel, it only copies the file to one of the destinations, not the other.

I'm pretty stumped as to why it won't process both at the same time.

EDIT: It will only run the first rule on the list. If I change the order, it will copy the other rule first. Despite both rules including the "Continue Matching Rules".
nicks089

Return to Support