Feature Request - Folder/Rule Documentation and Notes

Talk, speculate, discuss, pontificate. As long as it pertains to Hazel.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

1. It would be great if one could right click on a folder name and be able to add notes detailing the purpose of the folder and the rules that run on it. At the moment I reveal in Finder and then access a README created in each folder. But this also means having to exclude the README from any actions
2. For each rule it would be great if there was a properties/info section where more details/notes could be added

I have a lot of rules and sometimes forget details or some the idiosyncrasies associated with them

Many Thanks and keep up the great work!
MeesMees

For #1, can you post some examples?

For #2, that exists. When editing a rule, look in the top right. There's a note button which will reveal a text box where you can enter whatever you want. That text will also show up if you hover over the rule in the rule list.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

#1 is an excellent request/idea, being how many rules and behavior we tend to implement as time goes on. I haven't used the (per rule) note field (#2) that much yet, as by the time I am inside the rule and have glanced through the conditions/actions I don't need text notes as much. But when looking at all the folders I am monitoring/managing in the main screen, I do sometimes forget what the general profile/purpose of the folder/ruleset is. After reading MeesMees current solution (excellent workaround), I implemented a version myself where the rule will rename the txt file with '_name (source folder)' so that I end up with a file named like '_Hazel Dev Notes (APPS)' within the folder. That rule (Rename Hazel Dev Notes) is the first, before my 'Go into subfolders' rule. I start with a template text file so that it is easier to be more consistent in the content structure.

(A) Additionally, I use an app called 'Folder Colorizer' to color RED all my monitored folders, so that I am less likely to move things around and break a process when working in the Finder because I didn't distinguish monitored folders non-Hazel folders. I suppose tagging the folder with something like 'Hazel' and a color might be a similar workaround. Or maybe a solution that used a custom (logo) folder icon for monitored folders would be practical while marketing the product a little as well.

(B) Finally, it would be great if there was a way to group the monitored folders together when they are related to a larger process. As it is now they can be manually arranged, but it is difficult to tell which folders are 'one-off' and which are part of a series. A simple 'group folder', like often seen in use with Smart Albums/Playlists/Collections, etc. to expand/collapse would be very useful.

I have been using Hazel for only a few years and have spent many hours (enjoyed!) creating workflows and discovering possibilities. Because of the amazing potential that Hazel brings, a few more features to support internal documentation and visibility in the Finder would be very welcome.
Tatomu

Return to Open Discussion