"Name does not end with" criterion seems to get overlooked.

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi all,

I have a two rules attached to a folder "_boxes". (Find the exported rules at http://www.halloleo.net/get/_boxes.hazelrules.)

• The first rule is watching for PDFs without the ending "_x2.pdf" and then invokes a shell script which will create a new file named "<old-file-stem>_x2.pdf".
  • The second rule watches for the same (PDFs without the ending _x2.pdf) and then copies the file (the original file of course) to a completely different other location.

When I drop PDFs into the watched folder "_boxes", the original PDFs appear as expected in the other new location, but additionall it hapens sometimes that "_x2.pdf" files appear there too! - Why does this happen? Both rules should only be triggered for PDFs without the ending _x2.pdf. What's going wrong?

Many thanks for any hints!
halloleo

Are you filtering with Name or Full Name? The former only includes the part without the extension so you should be using Full Name instead.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for looking into this, Mr Noodle.

I actually test for Name only - but against "_x2" without the extension. See screenshot of the first rule:

Any idea why this odd behaviour occurs?
halloleo

Can you preview the rule? If the condition doesn't match, click the red badge to show how the name looks to Hazel. Post a screenshot of that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Oooooh, my bad! The first rule condition has as described Name does not end with "_x2", but the second one had erroneously Name does not end with "_x2.pdf"... That was the problem!

Thanks for being patient and nudging me around - until I found it myself!
halloleo

Return to Support