The Site/Forum Feedback Thread

Discussions about the Noodlesoft forums and site in general.
The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
After doing two host moves in quick succession as well as upgrading the boards, I thought I'd start this thread to get feedback. This host is a new build-out for me so post here if you notice any glitches, performance problems or if you feel it's better or worse than before.

Also, any suggestions on the forum layout are appreciated. I feel like it's more "busy" than before though I'm not exactly sure what to cut out. If you have any thoughts on the matter, let's hear them.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:28 pm • by sjk
Biggest problem for me is the unreadable white-on-white in quoted replies (at least in Safari), e.g.:

Mr_Noodle wrote:… post here if you notice any glitches

This affects every migrated thread.
sjk

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:51 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the heads up. Will look into it.

Update: Fixed! Again, thanks for picking this up.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:42 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:Fixed!

Much better/easier now -- thanks.

Just discovered another issue:

I had to login in separately for each of three e-mail reply notifications, even with "Log me on automatically each visit" checked after the first login. That's not the case with other phpBB3 forums -- the initial login covers subsequent logins.
sjk

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hmm, looks like there was an incorrect cookie setting from the previous host migration. I've fixed it (I think). Let me know how it works for you.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:50 pm • by sjk
Not sure how to check without getting multiple notifications to subscribed threads at about the same time again. You could force that to happen by replying to this and a couple others threads I've posted in; pretty sure I'm subscribed to most, if not all, of them.
sjk

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:57 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I just replied to another thread and am replying in this one as well. Let me know if the login issue has cleared up.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:32 pm • by sjk
Login issue is resolved; thanks.

Subjective, esthetic observation:

I've repeatedly noticed my attention is attracted to (and distracted by) the online/offline button before seeing the post Author name that I'd prefer to read with a quick glance. Seems mostly because of a combination of the smaller, centered text with the larger, different colored/styled button being too close to it. If you understand what I mean then I'm sure you'll see how to improve that. Thanks.
sjk

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:31 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I've been meaning to replace a lot of the icons though it's low on the priority list. The online icon is a bit big and this not being a social forum, I don't think people here care so much about which users are online.

I've noted changing the user name display. Thanks for the suggestion.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:17 pm • by sjk
I wouldn't miss the online/offline icon (not button, like I mistakenly called it in my other post since it looks like one).
sjk

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:45 pm • by soundframes
small thing:

I think the forum deserves a link in the nav menu on the noodlesoft frontpage.
For people who already have purchased hazel and are using it, the forum might be the most interesting point to get on this site. I remember the first time I wanted to see if there's a forum here, it took me some time to figure out that I have to click on support first and then on a small text link in the site content.

So just as a suggestion: Make the forum accessable from the start page.

best,

V
soundframes

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:27 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have the "Community" stuff mushed into the sidebar on the "Buzz" page but maybe I should break that out into it's own thing. I'm also planning on doing a Hazel blog that would contain tutorials, articles, downloadable rules etc. that would also fall under this category. Not sure if there's a better, more obvious term for it but if you have any ideas, post them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am • by restfulsilence
Hello,

congratulation for the new design and the release of Hazel 3.0 :)

I would have one feedback for the site:
When you open noodlesoft.com you see that the design is new and everything but on the first page nothing is mentioned like "NEW Hazel 3.0" or something like that. Don't you want to promote this news a little bit more? Or do I miss something? :)

Congrats again.
restfulsilence

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:07 pm • by Pe8er
A few quick thoughts: http://i.imgur.com/s2ZC2.jpg. Elements framed red are the ones I would throw out.
Pe8er

Re: The Site/Forum Feedback Thread Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the feedback.

I thought about it. The Hazel page itself has a "What's New" banner. I figured though that people coming to the site did so because they heard about 3.0 elsewhere. If they didn't, then they probably don't understand what 3.0 means. In any case, low on my list of priorities now. Still have fires to put out.

As for the text, I'll look into making it bigger. The forum styles are a pain since the forums software has so many pages plus it's always difficult merging two styles together. It will be a gradual process but keep posting things here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Next

Return to Forum/Site Discussion