Rules matched, but actions not being performed

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rules matched, but actions not being performed Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:50 am • by gcoghill
I had to rebuild some rules due to accidentally deleting a folder in the Hazel list.

The new rules show up in "Preview Rules Matches…" and show files matching the criteria, but the actions are not being performed. I duplicated and simplified the action to just a color label change, still nothing. Stopped/started Hazel, used the "run rules now" from both Hazel & the menubar item, no go.
gcoghill

I suggest re-adding the folder. Export the rules, remove the folder, re-add it to Hazel and then import the rules again. Also, check the logs to see if there are any messages there pertaining to this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I suggest re-adding the folder. Export the rules, remove the folder, re-add it to Hazel and then import the rules again. Also, check the logs to see if there are any messages there pertaining to this.

I rebooted and it's working now. This one folder has been causing me grief with Hazel — I even deleted it, created a new folder with the same name. Hoping all is finally fixed.
gcoghill

I have the exact same problem. After removing the folder and re-importing the rules it still did not work. After a restart, the rules ran once.

There is nothing in the log that indicates any problem. I am running the latest versions of everything.

It used to work without any problems for months until this started happening and it seems that so far it's only this one folder that has a problem.
jterbeest

Is there anything odd or unique about the folder in question? Is it on a different drive? Did you ever rename or move it?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The drive is an external USB drive. The rules always ran properly. The only thing I did was that I moved my account over to another computer using Migration Assistant. When I logged back in this one rule is not working. The only software that has been installed since then has been the last.fm software. I never renamed or moved it.

The most puzzling thing to me is that it runs once after a restart.

Let me know if there is anything you want me to try.
jterbeest

I suggest checking the logs (go to "Info" then "View Log") and sending them to me. If you click on the "Contact Support" link (also in the "Info" pane), it will bring up a Mail window.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I checked the logs myself many times but there is nothing in there pertaining to the rules that are not running. The only thing in there is about the rules that are running without problems.

I did notice something else though. I changed another rule on another folder to move a file to a different directory and Hazel did not recognize the change and kept moving the file to the old location. So I am wondering if maybe the rules database is somehow corrupted. What would be the easiest way to re-install all my rules from scratch, guaranteeing a new database?

Should I completely remove Hazel and than re-install and recreate / import my old rules?
jterbeest

You can try exporting all your rules. I don't know if reinstalling from scratch is necessary. I'd first export the rules for the folder in question, remove the folder, add the folder again, and the import the files back in. See if that clears up anything.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support