Move Files to a different folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move Files to a different folder Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 am • by benyzboy
Hello,

I'm new to Hazel and would like some direction on how to move files.
The scenario is as follows...
I have a folder called "MASTER" with three child folders called "ProRes", "MP4", and "YouTube".
In the MASTER folder I would like any files with the .MP4 file extension to be moved into the MP4 folder and any files with YouTube in the filename to be moved into the YouTube folder.

Any help with setting this work flow up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben
benyzboy

Re: Move Files to a different folder Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can use the "Sort into subfolder" action to do this. Like "Extension is mp4, Sort into subfolder mp4" and so on. If you run into any problems, reply back here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move Files to a different folder Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:28 pm • by benyzboy
Mr_Noodle wrote:You can use the "Sort into subfolder" action to do this. Like "Extension is mp4, Sort into subfolder mp4" and so on. If you run into any problems, reply back here.

Thanks,

I appreciate the help. I apologize as my original description doesn't fully flesh out my need. I'm wanting to execute this "workflow" on all job folders on my video editing RAID drive. That said, the "MASTER" > "YouTube" "MP4" folder structure is found at multiple places on my drive. I believe the answer you gave me will indeed work by targeting a single job folder...but I need this workflow to target this directory in all of my job folders (and new job folders are created on a fairly regular basis). Is there a way to say "look at the selected hard drive, and then, anytime you find a folder called "MASTER" do the "Sort into subfolder" action?

Again, my apologies for not being more clear the first time. I wasn't thinking of the big picture when I drafted the initial post.

Thanks,

Ben
benyzboy

Re: Move Files to a different folder Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are all these folders under a common folder? If so, you can create a rule to go into subfolders. Otherwise, you can try creating a Smart Folder for those and then use Hazel to monitor that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move Files to a different folder Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:57 pm • by benyzboy
Mr_Noodle wrote:Are all these folders under a common folder? If so, you can create a rule to go into subfolders. Otherwise, you can try creating a Smart Folder for those and then use Hazel to monitor that.

Mr Noodle,

I'm not sure I understand your question but will do my best to answer. I'm away from my video raid currently but have built out a similar folder structure on my desktop. There is a common folder, in the image here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrpvrewe5y3d0 ... n.png?dl=0
where you'll see that the common folder is "VIDEO RAID". In VIDEO RAID you'll see there are four main folders, "Job 1", "Job 2", "Job 3", "Job 4"...each one of these folders has a "MASTER" folder with "MP4" and "YouTube" subfolders. In each jobs "MASTER" folder are files called "Job x video - YouTube.mov" and "Job x video.mp4".
I want to make a single Hazel rule that will see "Job 1 video.mp4" and move it into VIDEO RAID/Job 1/MASTER/MP4 and will see "Job 1 video - YouTube.mov" and move it into VIDEO RAID/Job 1/MASTER/YouTube.
This single Hazel rule would then also see the files in the other jobs and move them into the proper folders within that job.

I do apologize if I'm having a hard time articulating my need here, I'm very new to automation and am trying to get up to speed, again, I really do appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Ben
benyzboy

Re: Move Files to a different folder Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am • by Mr_Noodle
If they are under a common folder like that, then you can have Hazel monitor that folder. Set up a rule to go into subfolders (search the help as there is a chapter on that). Then set up another rule to move the files. You can use "Sort into subfolder".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move Files to a different folder Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:13 am • by Trickyt57
What you want to achieve is actually a very simple task. You want to move all files which end with a specific extension, such as MP4, into a folder which is relevant for that extension. As all the folders which contain MP4 files are in some sub-folders of your main Folder, you need to set up your role to work on the main folder and to specify that the main rule should run on all the subfolders.
Trickyt57

Re: Move Files to a different folder Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:08 am • by mattsh
Looking to do something similar but with a twist (I think).

I want to move all zip files, at any level of the folder structure to a separate folder that only stores the zips.

i.e. Move Zips from Videos to Videos - Zips - both are at the same level in the directory structure.

So apparently I want to move from Videos to Videos - Zips, then sort into subfolders.

The question here is: If possible, I want the Videos - Zips folder to have the same directory structure as Videos. Is it possible for Hazel to create a subfolder in the Video - Zips if that subfolder does not exist. Ultimately I want the Videos - Zips folder to have the same directory structure as Videos.
mattsh

Re: Move Files to a different folder Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 am • by Mr_Noodle
When moving, there are options to copy over the folder structure. That should do what you want here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support