Dropbox to OneDrive Large Folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Dropbox to OneDrive Large Folders Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:09 am • by sdevine89
Hi all,

New to Hazel and have just got my first few rules up and running.

Essentially a big thing I want to use Hazel for is to copy any changes I make to documents in OneDrive(which has autosave and sharing functionality so I use it) to Dropbox which is my cloud storage of choice for a number of reasons.

Up to now I would just copy the One Drive Folder to Dropbox at the end of the day and hit merge on MacOS to update the changes. Hazel takes that task away which is great. So I have no problem setting up the rule on a per sub folder basis, to simple copy and replace when a file is modified in OneDrive.

However, will I need to create a rule for each subfolder? The large enclosing folder is exactly the same in both destinations but has about 40 subfolders, so I'd love to avoid making 40 rules. Now I know I could make the rule for the large folder that if anything in it changes to copy it, but that seems uneconomical because it will then replace the full folder in the destination and then reupload to the full folder to the cloud including 99% unmodified files.

What I would like is for Hazel to monitor the parent folder and if any file in any subfolder changes that this specific file is copied to the corresponding subfolder in the destination and therefore only the specific file is replaced.

Any thoughts or help?
sdevine89

Re: Dropbox to OneDrive Large Folders Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 am • by Mr_Noodle
No need to create separate rules.

If you want to mirror everything from one folder to another, check out this thread on how to do that: http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewto ... rule#p6500

If you want to have more control over what files get copied over, create a rule to tell Hazel to go into subfolders. From there, you create additional rules to copy over the files which should then apply to any files in subfolders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox to OneDrive Large Folders Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:32 pm • by sdevine89
That's brilliant, thank you.
sdevine89

Return to Support