Bug: sync files randomly changed

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Bug: sync files randomly changed Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:19 am • by bosie
Hi,

closely related to this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9800

the folders have sync rules in a dropbox folder. I just checked a few of those with a red exclamation mark: the sync file randomly changed.

it changed
from "/volumes/external backup/dropbox/hazel/pdf.hazelrules"
to "/volumes/testme/docs/pdf/new contract agreement.pdf"

I have no idea why. And this triggers the link above as long as hazel is running.
bosie

Re: Bug: sync files randomly changed Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:14 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you tell me a bit more about the testme volume? Was it created recently? Does it have any relationship to the backup volume? Like was one copied or cloned to the other? Were any specific files transferred from one to the other?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Bug: sync files randomly changed Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 pm • by bosie
Sure. testme is on a NAS, connected via ethernet. backup is a USB volume. until recently, my dropbox folder was in testme, due to pending changes on the dropbox side i moved it over to the backup volume. i did this by using the dropbox app ("move dropbox location" or something along those lines). now there is no /volumes/testme/dropbox directory anymore.

this must have confused hazel massively though.
bosie

Re: Bug: sync files randomly changed Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:22 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel uses aliases so it tries to track files/folders across moves/renames. I suggest re-setting any folders affected.

Also, the new beta (see beta forum) has a feature to relocate folders if you are feeling lucky...
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Bug: sync files randomly changed Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:56 am • by Defreeze
Mr_Noodle wrote:Hazel uses aliases so it tries to track files/folders across moves/renames. I suggest re-setting any folders affected.

Also, the new beta (see beta forum) has a feature to relocate folders if you are feeling lucky...

Can you elaborate a bit on this new feature? It sounds like a great and helpful feature but I am a bit scared to try it out and could not find any documentation.
Defreeze

Re: Bug: sync files randomly changed Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 am • by Mr_Noodle
The version just released (4.3.2) has a help page on it now. It won't help fix the path to the sync file itself but can be used to replace folders of rules in the sync files if needed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support