Newbie question - Rename with pattern

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Newbie question - Rename with pattern Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 am • by Lyrrad
Hi all

I'm new to this forum although I have been lurking for some time.

I've been using Hazel for some time and it is a great piece of software that I use religiously for automating my filing.

I'm not too sure why the image below is cropped on the right, but as it happens I hope it will still allow the help I require.

'The current date' in the pattern choices is my issue.

I know I can default that date to plus or minus days, but what I'm looking to achieve is as follows:

I want that date to always be a Wednesday. I always execute Hazel 75% of the time on a Thursday so the minus 1 day setting works most of the time. However it's the 25% I need help with.

Basically If I execute Hazel on a Fri-Tue I want the chosen date to be the upcoming Wed, if it run on a Wed I want it to be the same day, and if run on a Thursday I want it to be minus 1 day.

Hopefully I have explained myself properly and I am sure this could be done.

As a starting point I tried to see if I could get this done in Excel and I couldn't, so I'm quite stumped.

All help/guidance would be thoroughly appreciated.
Lyrrad

Re: Newbie question - Rename with pattern Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 am • by Mr_Noodle
It might be doable without a script but it will be tedious. You'd need a separate rule for each day of the week. You would match on "Current Time". There you can specify matching on specific days of the week and subtract the appropriate amount. Not great but I think it would work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question - Rename with pattern Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:17 pm • by Lyrrad
Yes a little bit cumbersome but it works.

I just duplicated my exist rule 7 times and edited as suggested. It didn't really take more than 10 mins to set up.

I've now got my files dated on a Wednesday of each week no matter what day I choose to use.

Thank you for your assistance.
Lyrrad

Return to Support