Help needed - tracking modified documents

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Help needed - tracking modified documents Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:15 am • by markp
Hi there

I downloaded Hazel yesterday and it's absolutely amazing and will finally help me keep my files sorted.

I've set up a few rules - no problem at all. But there is one aspect that I am having a problem with:

I set up a default document save location which is Mark's Documents

I've set up a role to have anything tagged as STUDY to COPY the document to the STUDY folder (as a backup) - so far so good it works perfectly... So let's say I've created REPORT A in Mark's Documents - it's made a copy already to my STUDY folder - fine.

Now the problem. Say I go into REPORT A in Mark's documents and make a few changes - I need Hazel to identify that I've changed the document (the document name stays exactly as it is) and then move a copy of the changed document to STUDY folder. I've tried so many criteria combinations such as MODIFIED AFTER LAST MATCH , MODIFIED AFTER CREATION DATE ETC, and nothing seems to work. I've wasted 3 hours on this now and it's driving me mad.

Basically what I want to see in my STUDY folder is Report A , Report A 1, Report A 2, Report A 3 etc. so everytime I save a modified version it creates a backup copy in my STUDY folder. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot.
Mark
markp

Re: Help needed - tracking modified documents Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you explain how it isn't working? Also, I assume you meant copy instead of move every time it is modified.

Note also that you need to specify how Hazel deals with moving the file to a destination where it already exists. If you look at the options, you can specify that Hazel renames the file instead.

Also, try going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support