Best Practice - type of folder to place Hazel Rule on?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi:
I now have 20+ hazel rules, all working beauitfully. Thankyou Mr Noodle for your super support.

Ive noticed sometimes my macbook does some wierd things, surges. It is likely not anything to do with Hazel but one never is quite sure with osx...

I was thinking, is there a best practice, it terms of the "type of folder" to place a Hazel rule on
For example:

1 if the folder has a lot of contents (say 100 files, or 1000s), then when hazel checks to see if anything for processing, that is a greater load than if the folder has 1 or a few files). Is it better to create a "staging folder" only used by hazel for processing? ( , than to put the hazel rule on the "storage folder").

2 if the folder is used alot, e.g Desktop. Files added and moved all day long. Then hazel rule on "desktop folder" is going to be triggered alot more often. Is it better to move the file for processing from the "Desktop folder" to a "staging-folder" and then run hazel rule on the processing folder?

Thankyou for your great help, Mr. Noodle.
NoodleNewbie

In general, it's better to move files out of the folder Hazel is monitoring. The more files in that folder, the more Hazel may have to scan anytime something changes. Hazel tries and only scan files it needs to but there are many instances where Hazel is only given limited details so it has to scan the whole folder.

I wouldn't worry too much about monitoring the Desktop. If you actually perceive performance issues with it then it might be worth looking into but in general, it should be much of a problem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support