Move to new Mac

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move to new Mac Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:13 pm • by sawbones
Hi-

I have a new Mac, and am doing a clean install.

I am looking for the best way to set up Hazel on the new Mac. Here are the two options I can find:

1. From a thread on this forum in 2014:

If you are on Mavericks or later, you have to use a special procedure as Apple has complicated things:

- Quit System Preferences.
- Launch Activity Monitor and find HazelHelper. Quit the process.
- Find cfprefsd. Kill any that you can (some may be for other accounts and you can't kill them).
- Restore the following:
- In your Library/Application Support folder, the Hazel folder
- In your Library/Preferences folder, the files starting with com.noodlesoft.
- Reboot.

https://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3945&p=13640&hilit=move+to+new+mac#p13640

2. OR-just install Hazel on the new Mac, export the rules from the old Mac, then reimport the rules.

I actually tried this first, and found that my folders in Hazel were not recreated. I am happy to recreate them myself, but wanted to get input from the experts here.

Thanks!
sawbones

Re: Move to new Mac Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:03 am • by Mr_Noodle
The rules, when exported, are not tied to any folder, so yes, you will have to re-create the folder list yourself in that case.

The first method does transfer over the folder list (and all your other non-rule settings) as that migrates your preferences over as well.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move to new Mac Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 pm • by sawbones
I followed the steps to transfer old prefs to the new Library.

I ended up with ghost folders containing the rules, that refer to the old computer.

So I just created new folders referring to the same locations on the new Mac, then moved the rules to these new folders.

However, I have a ghost folder, 'Hazel Processing,' that is located in the Downloads folder on the old computer, but not on the new one. The rules in that folder duplicate some but not all of the rules in my Hazel Downloads folder.

Is this folder necessary, or can I delete it? Should I create a new 'Hazel Processing' folder in the Downloads folder on my new Mac, and then move the files?

Thanks!
sawbones

Re: Move to new Mac Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
It's up to you whether it's necessary. Hazel itself doesn't require any folders so if you need that folder on the new machine, you should create it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support