Hazel not seeing create date in EXIF data in NEF file?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,
I have a rule which is supposed to move photos that don't have an EXIF create date to a folder; however, the rule is picking up .NEF files that do have a create date.
(I do have Spotlight indexing on, and the rule appears to be working otherwise)
The rule is:
If content create date is blank, then move the file to the "_No exif create date" folder.

When I run exiftool on the file, it does include the line:
Create Date : 2018:04:01 12:20:31.66

How can I get Hazel to recognize this date? (It does appear in the Finder Get Info panel, so I'm assuming Spotlight has indexed it)

Also, I have a separate rule on this same folder:
If kind is Image, then (rename steps here).

Hazel does not match this rule to the .NEF file (i.e. it doesn't appear to think the file is an image). If I change this to "if kind is Nikon raw image", then it does see it.
Is this expected behavior? It would certainly be easier if "Image" kind included the raw image kind; otherwise, I would need to keep a complete list of different image types from the prior cameras I've had over the years.

Thanks!
kruczynski

Use the preview function to see how the date appears in Hazel. Note that there are a couple of creation dates so make sure you are using the same one that appears in Finder.

As far as NEF being an image, that is determined by whatever app you have that handles NEF files. The app determines the categorization of the files it handles.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

So...without any changes on my part (literally haven't touched the machine since I posted this question), Hazel now both returns the appropriate content create date as well as identifies the file as an image file (versus having to specific Nikon Raw).

The only thing I can think of: Spotlight had been turned off on the drive hosting these images...I had just re-enabled it not too long (<1 hour) before trying the Hazel rules. Perhaps getting the night to index everything was enough to fix the issue...in any event, thank you for the response!
Jeff
kruczynski

Yes, Spotlight is necessary since that is what Hazel uses to get at those fields. Make sure to keep it on for any drives which Hazel accesses.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support