Create a rule which is applied to multiple folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I use sort into subfolders by tag.
I have a rule, which scans the tags for a two digit number (eg. 05, 06, 07)
And according to the found number, the file shall be moved into a subfolder of the same name.
Can I activate this rule for multiple folders without having to copy the rule?

EG:

/Folder1
*** File with Tag 05
*** File with Tag 06
*** File with Tag 07

/Folder2
*** File with Tag 05
*** File with Tag 06
*** File with Tag 07

To:
Folder1/05/File with Tag 05
Folder1/06/File with Tag 06
Folder1/07/File with Tag 07
Folder2/05/File with Tag 05
Folder2/06/File with Tag 06
Folder2/07/File with Tag 07

So I want the SAME rule to be applied to Folder1 and Folder2 without copying it
gutenmorgenuhu

Are Folder1 and Folder2 under a common folder? If so, you can monitor that common folder then have Hazel go into subfolders (check the manual for that part).

Otherwise, if the Folders have the same or very similar rulesets, you can sync rules between them so that they are shared.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thank you. It worked.
Is there a way to get a certain tag? The last or the first ?
gutenmorgenuhu

Can you provide a concrete example?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you provide a concrete example?

I have a bunch of Hazel rules which sorts files into folders via their tags.

MyFile with Tags tag1, tag5, tag2, tag3, tag4
Is moved to /tag1/tag2/tag3/tag4/tag5/MyFile

These tags 1 to 5 are the same for many files so I expliciteley check for them in Hazel rules.

I want a tag6 which is different from tag1-tag5 and so arbitrary that almost anything can be tag 6. MyFile should get a orted into

/tag1/tag2/tag3/tag4/tag5/tag6/MyFile.

I used a # symbol as first character in the tag6 to identify it as the last tag but that’s unconvienient and messss up my tagging structure.
I need to be able to identify tag6 (eg it always being the last in the tag list)
gutenmorgenuhu

I experimented on my own a bit and I do not understand the following. I have a file tagged with:

with this rules:

but actually it ALWAYS finds the tag "Schule" no matter if I want the 1st from the end or from the start :(
gutenmorgenuhu

I'm not sure how you defined •tag but in general, doing "Tags contain match" will grab the first tag in the list.

I think in this case, you may need a separate rule for each tag. You will need a rule to go into subfolders (search the manual) and in each rule checking tags, check the "subfolder level" since the tag being matched is different at each level.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm not sure how you defined •tag but in general, doing "Tags contain match" will grab the first tag in the list.

I think in this case, you may need a separate rule for each tag. You will need a rule to go into subfolders (search the manual) and in each rule checking tags, check the "subfolder level" since the tag being matched is different at each level.

So this setting does not search from the end of the list ? It should find the last tag doesn’t it? *tag is set to ‘anything’
gutenmorgenuhu

Return to Support