How to: force focus on app so processing of file starts?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi

Hazel 4.2.8 / Sierra 10.12.5

Currently a hazel rule opens Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), when a file with extension = .acsm is in a directory.(.acsm are the adobe content server authority to get an ebook from the library). I thought that would have it sorted but there are few other things Hazel needs to help me with as ADE seems a bit problematic.

1 For ADE to start, it requires me to click on the OSX download "Progress Popup" from ADE (e.g. give the Popup focus). Otherwise the "Progress Popup" waits and the .acsm is not processed (e.g. download does not beging). Once the Popup has received focus, you can continue what you were doing on the mac, and it will download the ebook in the background.

- I have tried with option in Hazel of open app (bring to front) clicked and unclicked. Both still require me to click on this popup.
- I have ADE opening on my 2nd desktop space. I have tried this with ADE opening on my main desktop space and same result. OSX Progress Popup from ADE requires me to click on it

2 If there are several .acsm to process, ADE requires me to click this OSX progress popup message to get the next one going.
I did test it would run through all of them if I was not doing anything else on the mac (e.g. so ADE was left in focus). Not doing anything else on the mac, would be very rare.

3 If ADE crashes and the .acsm download process didnt finish (e.g. I did not get the ebook downloaded), Hazel thinks it is finished and doesnt try to reprocess it. ADE crashes alot. It would be great if Hazel could retry.

and
4 I would ideally like ADE to run in background. I do not know if it is possible to force ADE to do anything. I could not see in Hazel to open/run application in background. I know with a few other apps I have forced them in the background via some settings set via terminal the developer/owner gave me.

Is 1,2,3,4 possible with Hazel?
NoodleNewbie

I think the issue is with ADE. You will need to figure out how to disable that popup or write an AppleScript, which Hazel can trigger, to drive the UI and dismiss that popup as needed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support