Date Last Matched or Folder Did Change With Deep Folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hello,

I've been using Hazel for a while now and getting more efficient with sorting my data however I am still struggling with understanding how to selectively process folders.

The problem is that I have a large number of files 1000's stored on a NAS. Hazel works great a processing these files but I found the sorting to be slower than I would expect. I started looking at the logs and perhaps this is a misunderstanding but Hazel re-runs rules on folders that have already been processed because I am using [*]If kind is Folder - Run Rules On Folder Contents[*]. I understand that this is the intended functionality but I want to speed up folder processing.

I have tried both [*]Date Last Matched is After Date Last Modified[*] and [*]Folder Contents - Did Change[*]. However, to speed up folder population in Finder and achieve the folder structure I'm after on a remote drive I have folder depths of 4 or 5 folders. These actions seem to work fine if the folder structure is shallow. However, if the folder structure is deep the rule will finish processing on LEVEL 1 before the file has finished processing through LEVELS 3-4-5.

Is this the best way to handle deep folder structures?
jfisher

Hazel tries to only go as deep as it needs to but if there are any changes to files in a lower level, Hazel does have to go and checks files there.

You may want to consider moving files to a different folder instead of sorting them into the monitored folder. As long as those files are there, they will be subject to future scanning/processing.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support