Could not import text from <filename>

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Could not import text from <filename> Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:04 pm • by ethnicolor
I have this problem now on particular PDFs since the latest version of Hazel. All rule criteria are satisfied (as verified in the preview) yet Hazel won't run the rule.

I'm running Hazel 4.2.6. on macOS High Sierra 10.13.5. Rebooting the Mac doesn't help.

When I click the eye to Show Rule Status, I can see the following against the file:

. Could not import text from /Users/<foobar>/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/00-Inbox/<foobar.pdf>.

I've had this rule running for at least a year without fail. To my knowledge, the format of the documents (password-protected PDFs) has not changed.

The files contain SPI and I don't want to share them with tech support, though I'd be glad to do anything else to help with troubleshooting.
ethnicolor

Re: Could not import text from <filename> Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:40 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel can't read password protected documents. Are you using "Contents contain" or "Contents contain match"?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Could not import text from <filename> Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:35 am • by ethnicolor
Mr_Noodle wrote:Hazel can't read password protected documents. Are you using "Contents contain" or "Contents contain match"?

Thanks for your reply.

I not looking into the contents of the file at all. All the rules look at just the file name, that's it.
I don't know how to use the image function on this forum (well I do, but I don't have a website where I can upload images!) - here's a screenshot of the preview pane:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1abANBPIk8OAQLCaKiCESQSq5KaGZFAze/view?usp=sharing

And here's the error:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fm6pgbLdXzcUBzHqcz2VYaK0d5w-erse/view?usp=sharing
ethnicolor

Re: Could not import text from <filename> Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
Strange. Are you sure there's no other rule before that one that checks contents?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Could not import text from <filename> Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:58 am • by ethnicolor
Wow - that question got me to a working solution, but one which I don't understand.

I have a great many Hazel rules, organised alphabetically, which process files in that folder. However, upon receipt of your reply I moved the rule to be the very first in the list, and hey-presto, it worked immediately.

However, I don't understand why. Is that a limitation of Hazel - if you process password-protected PDFs they must be the first rule that runs in that folder? I never knew that. Perhaps I always had that rule out of position at the top of the list, and I moved it a few months ago and don't remember, and so it stopped working? :?:

In any case, the problem is solved now, so thank you very much, I appreciate your assistance.
ethnicolor

Re: Could not import text from <filename> Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 am • by Mr_Noodle
The rule ordering affects how rules are executed. The first one to match is the one that gets run. Sorting them alphabetically is not a good idea because of this. Try to re-arrange the rules to take this into account.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support