Can Hazel do what I need it to do?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Can Hazel do what I need it to do? Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:52 pm • by immeasurablematt
Hi there,

I'm researching ways to clean up, organize and consolidate my old mid-2009 MacBook Pro. I have a list of things I need to do, and based on my research, it seems possible that Hazel can help me to do them, however I'd like to run my list by some experienced users before investing the money and time it will take for me to learn to use Hazel.

Six years ago I removed the CD drive and installed a solid state drive to put the OS on, I also swapped the manufacturer's HD with on internal Terabyte drive. Since it's no longer supported, I recently found and used a patch to upgrade the OS to High Sierra. Here's the list of things I need some guidance on how to do:

Music
[list- ]Find and delete all duplicate music files
- Consolidate all music onto an external drive (I don't need 700gb of music anymore. Instead, I want to use my external as an offline database. I want to manually search, select, and add albums from my external database slowly over time and add them to iTunes as needed.
- Set the iTunes Library to store added album files on the Terabyte drive & Sync with iCloud
[/list]

Images
    - Find and delete all duplicate image files
    - Set Photos to store all images on Terabyte and sync on iCloud

General
    - Consolidate all apps and store on Terabyte
    - Delete any apps that haven't been used in the past 12 months
    - Isolate High Sierra OS on the Solid State HD partition, make sure every thing else is directed to the Terabyte drive
immeasurablematt

Re: Can Hazel do what I need it to do? Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:31 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm a little hazy on details. For consolidating, I assume these files are scattered across your drive? In that case, you would need to create a Smart Folder. Hazel can then monitor that and file them as appropriate.

As for duplicate images, if you need to check if images with different filenames are actually have different pixels, you will need specialized software for that.

Hazel does have a 14-day trial so I suggest downloading and testing it out before purchasing.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support