Trying to move contents of old iPhoto library

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Trying to move contents of old iPhoto library Tue May 22, 2018 1:57 pm • by npete
Hi, I have the "Masters" directory of an old iPhoto library and am trying to rename the contents of the subfolders to the created dates and then dump all of the photos into a single directory. However, when I set up a rule in Hazel, it only grabbed the subfolders and moved them into a single director leaving the files inside the subfolders/subdirectories alone. I looked at the support page on subfolders, but still can't work out what I am missing. Here's what I have set up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mob0ixef26phrd/Screen%20Shot%202018-05-22%20at%201.49.55%20PM.png
Last edited by npete on Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
npete

The image isn't coming through. Can you re-host/link it?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Trying to move contents of old iPhoto library Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 pm • by npete
Mr_Noodle wrote:The image isn't coming through. Can you re-host/link it?

Done--sorry about that!
npete

It looks like you are combining logic to operate on the folder with that to process the files within. Read the help on "subfolders" as it contains an explanation of what's going wrong here. You'll need to split your rule up to do what you want.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Trying to move contents of old iPhoto library Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pm • by npete
Thanks for your reply!

I did read the subfolders help page but had trouble following it all. But if you say I need to split my rule into two, that gives me something to work with though it sounds like a ton of work because it seems like I'll have to reset the rule for each subfolder if I have to split the rule into two. The image files inside each subfolder could have conflicting names, so they can't just be moved into the same folder.

Ultimately, I just don't understand what the rule, as I have it in the screenshot, is doing. It seems like it should work.

Basically:
"If items in watched folder are folders, apply the following to the contents: rename contents and move to the watched folder."

If/then statement, really. But I'll try splitting the rule and see if I can make that work.
npete

You just need two rules. One rule to go into subfolders. Another rule to process the files. You can't mix the logic of both into one rule.

Basically, use the subfolders rule in the help without modifying it. Then create another rule to process files as if the files were all at the top level.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support