Rules not running automatically?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rules not running automatically? Fri May 18, 2018 1:50 pm • by BobbyThompson
I recently setup a ruleset that would create a copy of any modified file in a defined folder.

There are two rules, and when run they give me exactly what I'm looking for...

They are:

My only issue is this:

The rules only run when I manually trigger them:

The question is, how can I get this to auto trigger every time a file is modified/saved within the folder(s)?

I should probably add that I did try searching other posts, but they seem to only indicate this kind of problem when the monitored folder is on a network share. In this case that wouldn't apply as I'm monitoring a local folder within my Documents folder...
BobbyThompson

Re: Rules not running automatically? Mon May 21, 2018 10:38 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you check the logs? Go to Hazel's "Info" section and click "View Logs". Find an excerpt during a time when the rule should have triggered but didn't and post/email that. Make sure to mention the name of the file that should have been processed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Rules not running automatically? Wed May 23, 2018 2:24 pm • by BobbyThompson
Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you check the logs? Go to Hazel's "Info" section and click "View Logs". Find an excerpt during a time when the rule should have triggered but didn't and post/email that. Make sure to mention the name of the file that should have been processed.

After saving the file in question, and sitting with Hazel open, the log shows NOTHING.
And I literally mean nothing (here is the screenshot several minutes after I saved changes to the test file, I cleared the log about a minute or so before I saved the file in question):

I left it open for several minutes, but nothing came up...

I then went into Hazel, right clicked on the folder in question & chose "Run Rules Now". The moment I did the log file showed it going though and traversing the files, when it hit the [modified] file in question it showed that it was making a copy of said file in the target folder...

Whenever I have selected "Run Rules Now" it has always matched & copped with 100% accuracy the modified files, regardless of weather the last time I manually ran the rule was 5 minutes ago or 5 days ago (outside of having to manually run it, it works a whole lot better than I ever would have expected)...

While I wanted it to execute every time it detects a file change (so if I make 10 changes I would get backups of all 10 copies), I would be perfectly happy with the rule being executed, say, once every hour... Anything other than having to remember to go in & manually execute it after making changes...
BobbyThompson

Re: Rules not running automatically? Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you tell me more about the Web folder? Is it a network share or is there anything else about that folder or the drive it is on?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support