Read out user/IP

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Read out user/IP Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am • by haishi
Hello! First of all, I tried & love your littel tool.

But here's the question: We are in an office environment and have different users creating folders, files, etc. Ist there a way to install the tool on our server and tag the files by the user who created them? Could we read out information such as internal IP address to replace it by username afterwards? That would be great.

Furthermore, are there plans to make the notifications list more acessible in the futrure, to habe a better overview of past notificatons?

Best regards,
Andreas
haishi

Re: Read out user/IP Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure if there's any way to get the internal IP. As for user, it depends on how you have your server setup. There is an "owner" attribute which you can try.

As for notifications, Hazel does not control that. That is all part of notification center and apps have little to no control over how they appear or how long they linger. You can check Hazel's logs from the "Info" section but note that that output is a bit more raw.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Read out user/IP Fri May 18, 2018 6:01 am • by haishi
Hello! Thanks you your suggestion. Unfortunately, "owner" does not work.
In theory, it should be possible to check for IPs with an apple script.

Something like

if thelocalnode = "192.168.1.xx" then
return true
end if

might work, but I can't get the details to work, meaning, I don't know how to connect the local IP value to a specific file. Maybe someone here has an idea?
haishi

Re: Read out user/IP Fri May 18, 2018 11:07 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure how that is possible at all. When a file is copied, as far as I know, there's no metadata recorded of the IP it came from. Unless you are using special software that does that, I don't think that approach will work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support