Bending Sync Action to meet my will

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Bending Sync Action to meet my will Wed May 16, 2018 2:20 pm • by mlevison
Daer Noodlesoft friends - I have a challenge. I have a repository of training and consulting material as part of my tiny company Agile Pain Relief.

Folder Structure looks like:
/APR/Training Materials/CSM 2 Day
[indent]/Material For Attendees[/indent]
[indent]/Other Material for Printing[/indent]
[indent]/Pieces used to Build Handbook[/indent]
[indent]/Trainer[/indent]
[indent]/NotShared[/indent]

This structure repeats across a my CSPO and all of my other courses. (7-8 courses)

I share this material with different groups of people:
- Other Independant Scrum Trainers
- Course attendees

- For the Independant Scrum Trainers - these are people I know very well, I will share nearly everything with them. Everything except the /NotShared folder.
- Course Attendees - only get the contents of Material for Attendees.

For Independant Scrum Trainers I use a rule like this:
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/kss7se63m8o915c/Screenshot_2018-05-16__2_05_PM.png?dl=0[img] (if that fails the Image is here: [url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/kss7se63m8o915c/Screenshot_2018-05-16__2_05_PM.png?dl=0[url])
- This fails because it copies over the /NotShared

Course Attendees have a separate rule per folder.

As a recovering Object Oriented Programmer this is killing me. I want all of the conceptually related things together. This might not be possible.

So I have three questions:
[list=][*]Independant Scrum Trainers - Is there are simple way working from the root of the Trainings folder to sync/copy with only one rule while still obeying my requirement to skip /NotShared
[*] Course Attendees - is there an elegant way to consolidate all of these into one rule based off of the Trainings folder?
[*] Failing all this (and that's ok) is there another piece of software you can recommend that will solve this problem?
[/list]

BTW if the preview function is right, I code in many languages but not bbcode. Sorry.

Thanks
Mark
mlevison

Re: Bending Sync Action to meet my will Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that you have to create a rule to tell Hazel to go into subfolders. The rule as you currently have it will sync the whole "CSM 2 Day" folder. If you need to pick and choose folders, you need to descend into that folder and match them there.

Can you post one of your rules for course attendees? I'm not quite clear on why you need a separate rule for each one.

Also, you may want to consider creating aliases to the folders instead. It's an operation you do up front and after that, you won't need to keep copying files (and using up more disk space).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Bending Sync Action to meet my will Tue May 22, 2018 12:42 pm • by mlevison
This dropbox file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yeqee4jroerw ... rules?dl=0 contains one rule - for the CSM folder. (BTW is there a better way to attach share rules with you?)

I will consider links later in the day. The only downside is the can imagine - there will 6 courses * 4 links per course. As an ex-Unix admin I'm pretty careful to avoid links. Maybe I just have to chill.

Thanks for helping me to sort this out
Mark
mlevison

Re: Bending Sync Action to meet my will Wed May 23, 2018 11:24 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm seeing a rule to copy PDFs but I don't see anything for each course attendee. Could you show one of those rules?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Bending Sync Action to meet my will Wed May 23, 2018 11:42 am • by mlevison
Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm seeing a rule to copy PDFs but I don't see anything for each course attendee. Could you show one of those rules?

Nothing per course attendee. Rules are per course. For the course attendees we just email them a dropbox link.

Cheers
Mark
mlevison

Re: Bending Sync Action to meet my will Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm unclear at this point where the problem is. Is there a problem with your current rules or do you need help with creating a rule to do something else?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support