Subfolders - Evaluate rules on files but not whole folders?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I'm trying to set hazel to effectively create a copy of a file every time it's modified...

I setup a rule to copy the file if modified is in the last 1 hour and last match is not in the last 1 hour...
This seems to work, however when I set it up to work on subfolders, I ended up with a result I wasn't expecting...

When I modify a single file, the rule matches the folder the file was modified in, then creates a copy of every file in that folder...

So if I modify 1 file in a folder that holds 50 files, I get a copy of all 50 files...

Is there a way to monitor sub folders to match only the file modified and not the entire folder contents along with it?

For reference, these are the two rules as they currently exist:

BobbyThompson

Are those the order of the rules in the list? If not, then note that the rule to copy files can also copy folders?

Otherwise, go through the troubleshooting guide and report back with the results: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I got a near perfect result by changing the copy rule to apply to any file who's date modified is after date last matched...

Though I had to ensure to enable the option not to copy if files are identical, as it would sometimes appear to endlessly copy files over and over again...

Now any time I modify a file Hazel creates a copy in a backups folder ending in -1, -2, -3 etc effectively giving me a history of every individual file modification...

It works as sort of a poor man's version control... I had a software program designed to do exactly this kind of thing but it seemingly stopped working right along time ago. I've been searching for an alternative method ever since, and stumbled upon to the possibility Hazel might do the job while working with an unrelated rule set...

This option appears to reproduce the same effect, and it seems like it will do so quite well...
BobbyThompson

Return to Support