Simple way to rotate images

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Simple way to rotate images Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:14 pm • by jkpalmer52
I have received an extensive set of family photos that another family member scanned to their computer.

Unfortunately, they did not bother to orientate them very well.

I am trying to find the simplest method to rotate these images.

I started with Automator and soon determined that any photo that was rotated by Automator had its file size substantially increased. I would like to prevent that if possible and determined that "sips" will keep the files close to their original size.

I found that Hazel could do the job better by calling a shell script that would execute a "sips" command.

I don't want to move the files that need to be rotated to another folder and then move them back. What I would like to do is add a "color" tag to each file that I want to rotate and then enable the rule to run on the folder when the file has been "colored".

Does this sound plausible and can Hazel do it? I have tried it but I can't seem to make it work.

Regards,

Jim P.
jkpalmer52

Re: Simple way to rotate images Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 am • by kingshill
jkpalmer52 wrote:I am trying to find the simplest method to rotate these images.

If you add a label Hazel should react on, you still need to have an additional step identifying the direction of rotation, don't you?

If you have always the same rotation angle and direction you might indicate this by using a label. If not, checking the exif information might be another way. But I do not know your images.

However, I think you need to use another tool next to Hazel. If Automator doesn't do the job for you: Have you tried a combination of Apple script and Exif tool? You will find several tutorials in the web.

Cheers
Kingshill
kingshill

Re: Simple way to rotate images Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am • by jkpalmer52
My thinking is that I would do the following:
Stop Hazel
Set my script to my first rotate direction, say left 90
Label all the images that I want to rotate left 90
Start Hazel
Stop Hazel and repeat for the next rotate direction.

I attempted to do this but labeling file with Hazel running doesn't appear to do anything.

Jim P.
jkpalmer52

Return to Support