Auto-incrementing when file name is a duplicate

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Auto-incrementing when file name is a duplicate Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 am • by mattwestcott
I sort all my photos by date and time, but occasionally I have two photos taken at the same second, and I want to add another type of number at the end. Currently, duplicate file names end in "-1". I've tried adding the "#" attribute to the end of the file name to see if that might auto-increment dupilicate file names by 1 each time. Eg: "2017-12-31 10.30.12.01" and "2017-12-31 10.30.12.02". But even with my increment attribute attached, it just adds "01" to the end of all file names, and never actually increases.

Perhaps I'm missing something simple, but I've been tinkering for a while and nothing I've tried has worked (except maybe "always increment" but there must be a better way?)

Thanks for your help!

mattwestcott

The number only comes into play when there's a name conflict. If you use "always increment", then the first conflict will use "01", and the next one (regardless of if its a conflict with the same file or a different one) will be "02".

You'll probably need a script in this case or a rule to identify the conflicting files and rename them, which can be tricky.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support