Find file douplicates accross hard drives

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hey all,
I've got a big write up on batch processing video files coming soon (a la prefect tv show download & renamer post here) but the last step is kind of an unusual one.

My setup is a little different than most because of scale (most are designed for a few files, mine has to process hundreds at a time, and manage a media library of thousands of gigs) so I find myself having to split library files across hard drives on the server.

My question:
Does anyone know of a way to have Hazel look into a number of folders and compare file names (that is, find duplicates) and when/if it finds some, delete one--preferably giving favoritism to the m4v file, not the avi or whatever?

It would have to work like this:
var/1/Movies1
var/2/Movies2
var/3/Movies_Newst

looks in M1, and compare to contents of M2, and M3(new), then repeat comparing M2's contents to M1 and M3, and so on. It would only need to run once a day or so (I know Mr. Noodle is thinking of spiffy time based rules :)

Thoughts?

Thanks for any suggestions! I'm thinking there will need to be some AppleScript or something, I'm looking but any help would be much appreciated.
Flynntargart

Re: Find file douplicates accross hard drives Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel's duplicate support is limited to files following common numbering schemes in the same folder. For what you want, you will have to resort to some sort of script since it involves pretty specialized logic.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Cool, that's what I thought, but hey, can't hurt to ask. When I figure something out I'll post the results :)
Flynntargart

Return to Support