Downloads Action

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Downloads Action Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:56 pm • by greiss122
Hello! New Hazel user here.
I'm trying to create a new Hazel rule that prompts me for action once a file has been sitting in my downloads folder for more than an hour (or etc.).
The workflow would be as follows:

File downloaded.
1 hour later, Hazel sends a notification, which reads: "File X has been sitting in the downloads folder for 1 hour. What should I do with it?", then gives me a prompt for options––
The options would ideally include... "Move to Trash", "Move to Pictures", "Move to Desktop", "Move to..." (as in, bring up a folder selection window), "Ignore" (which would never ask about this file again), or "Snooze", which would ask me again 1 hour from now.
Then, of course, Hazel would do it.

So obviously this is fairly complex, but I feel like Hazel should be able to give a notification with buttons (especially if it's a pop up window). Maybe I could call an applescript that could help file the files? Not sure the best way to go about this.

Any thoughts?
Thank you!!
-Gabe
greiss122

Re: Downloads Action Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 am • by Mr_Noodle
You would definitely need to use AppleScript for this. Search this forum as I believe there is a script to display a dialog so that should be a good starting point.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Downloads Action Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:40 pm • by greiss122
Mr_Noodle wrote:You would definitely need to use AppleScript for this. Search this forum as I believe there is a script to display a dialog so that should be a good starting point.

Sorry to bother again but I've been unable to find this–– do you remember more specifically what it was called or about? Thank you!!
greiss122

Re: Downloads Action Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 am • by Mr_Noodle
Here's one article though I believe there are a couple others as well: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1256&p=11933&hilit=applescript+dialog#p11933
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support