Syncing rules that move files having different roots

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi:

I am using Hazel on to iMacs and have created a number of rules that move files to different folders of my Dropbox folder structure. Since I had to move the Dropbox on one mac to the second, larger hard drive, the rules for moving a file does not work anymore on the other mac (that does not have a second hard drive). That means I cannot sync my several rules anymore.

First mac uses: Macintosh HD2 > User > dirk > Dropbox
Second mac uses: Macintosh HD > User > dirk > Dropbox

Does anybody has experienced the same challenge and has found a solution?

Best,

Dirk
Defreeze

Is your main user account on Macintosh HD2 or is /User/dirk just a carry over from when it was the main drive?

If you are syncing the rules, the only solution I can think of is to create a symbolic link under your home folder to point to one on Macintosh HD2. You'll need to use the commandline to do so as an alias won't work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Is your main user account on Macintosh HD2 or is /User/dirk just a carry over from when it was the main drive?

If you are syncing the rules, the only solution I can think of is to create a symbolic link under your home folder to point to one on Macintosh HD2. You'll need to use the commandline to do so as an alias won't work.

It's a carry over - only the Dropbox uses the Macintosh HD2.

Before I'll try out the symbolic link, I try to rename the volumes to make them identical.
Defreeze

Mr_Noodle wrote:Is your main user account on Macintosh HD2 or is /User/dirk just a carry over from when it was the main drive?

Works very fine with the symbolic link. Thanks.
Defreeze

Return to Support