Issue: recognition movie not working in condition

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

hi,

Here is the rule: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAWsjimDAxJB ... em8yWbrPQo
I normally don't have the MPEG-4 Movie condition in there. For some reason "Kind is Movie" does not match despite it being a youtube video i downloaded with youtube-dl. "Kind is Movie" seems to never match anything (webm, mp4, mkv, mov,...). Is there a particular reason this doesn't work?

Thanks
bosie

In Finder, select the file and do "Get Info". Check the Kind there.

Note that that categorization is dependent on the apps you have installed. While macOS has support for certain types, others, like mkv, require a third party app and that app has to provide the proper categorization.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle, thanks for the reply. the kind in finder is "MPEG-4 Movie". this isn't surprising as hazel recognizes it as such as well, as seen in the screenshot.
I thought that Kind==Movie in Hazel is basically a superset of movie types. If Hazel recognizes a file as MPEG-4, the condition kind==movie would be true. Apparently, this isn't the case though.
bosie

As mentioned, that categorization is done by apps that manage those file types. You may have a rogue app which is screwing up the categorization of mp4 files (I'm assuming that's what you are using). That's where I would focus but again, it's not something Hazel controls.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Apologies for being a bit thick but the categorization is correct, otherwise why would hazel correctly say it is an mpeg-4 file? is hazel not grouping the various movie types (quicktime, mpeg-4,...) into its own category called "movie"?

Code: Select all
--- ~ » file --mime "barbell.mp4"
barbell.mp4: video/mp4; charset=binary

Not sure what more hazel needs to identify this correctly. I have the same problem with "Kind is Image". Hazel doesn't recognize any image correctly this way, i have to always do "Kind is JPEG image", "Kind is PNG image" etc.
bosie

That is still done by the system. The categorization is not just assigning a category to a file. It also assigns that category in relation to the other categories. So, it's possible, for instance, for something to define "MPEG-4 Video" and then neglect to relate that category back to "Movie".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi there,
I'm having the same issue. Only difference is, my collection of videos is stored on a Synology NAS.
So, according to Mr.Noodle's answer, in this case it'd be DSM in charge of the categorisation, right?
If so, does anybody know a solution for that?
bruce20

DSM?

The categorization is a function of the operating system in conjunction with the apps you have installed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hello,

First time using this forum and novice in terms of Hazel.

I'm having the same issue.
I'm trying to get Hazel to work on a network drive (QNAP NAS) mapped to the OS using AFP.

What I'm trying to achieve is IF Kind==Movie THEN Move==Folder, I've also added another rule for looking into subfolders. But this is not working and if I look in the log I get the following:

Code: Select all
2019-05-12 00:11:21.624 hazelworker[986] Running worker (v4.3.5) for folder with identifier: 872415235-444.
2019-05-12 00:11:21.626 hazelworker[986] ###main load address: 0x108df8000
2019-05-12 00:11:21.626 hazelworker[986] ###Noodle load address: 0x108f1f000
2019-05-12 00:11:21.626 hazelworker[986] ###CK load address: 0x108ede000
2019-05-12 00:11:21.650 hazelworker[986] Processing folder September (forced)
2019-05-12 00:11:23.904 hazelworker[986] Received abort event.
2019-05-12 00:11:23.905 hazelworker[986] Done processing folder September

If I copy the folder on the local drive and run the same rules these apply correctly and files are separated and moved in the right folder.

Reading on the forum I understand this might be caused by the spotlight indexing, this was enabled already on the drive.
Also this might be caused by the "Kind" when getting info by right clicking on the .Mov files these are either "Movie" or "Quick Time Movie".

When clicking Preview in the rule and selecting the folder with the Movies I want to move using the rule, this says "Rule Does not Match" and in the table below "Kind | Quick Time Movie".

I've also noticed that if I run the rules on the parent folder that contains many subfolders, these seem to get scanned in a loop
when looking at the log.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

P.
hsdb

It may be an issue with the NAS not properly implementing the Spotlight index. Are you comfortable using the commandline? If so, then run the "mdls" command on the file and post the results.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support