Extracting Multiple Archives with same internal folder?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Dear Noodlers..

I am using a rather convoluted set of rules to copy files to a work folder (not a problem) and then unRAR and flatten the folders (if no more than one file is present). My rules work flawlessly except for one particular instance.

When Hazel has to extract multiple episodes of a TV show pack, only the last set of subtitle files extract. So if I had three episodes in the series (and presuming all have subtitle files) I end up with the following extracted files:

Show 01x01.mkv
Show 01x02.mkv
Show 01x03.idx
Show 01x03.mkv
Show 01x03.sub

(Episode 01 an 02 .idx and .sub files are missing)

This is from

..\SHOW\Show 01x01\Show 01x01.rar, .r01, .r02, etc.
..\SHOW\Show 01x01\Subs\Show 01x01 Subs.rar

..\SHOW\Show 01x02\Show 01x02.rar, .r01,.r02, etc.
..\SHOW\Show 01x01\Subs\Show 01x02 Subs.rar

..\SHOW\Show 01x03\Show 01x01.rar, .r01, .r03, etc.
..\SHOW\Show 01x01\Subs\Show 01x03 Subs.rar

I can't figure out why Hazel is only extracting the last set of sub files.

Below is an outline of how my rules are (in order) at the top level, to help illustrate my point:

Delete Proof and Sample Files and Folders
    Flatten Folder Tree
    Trash Empty Folders
    Extract RAR Archives
    Include Nested Subfolders
    Flatten Single File Folder
    DElete Ancillary Files
    Delete TV and Movie Ancillary Files
    Remove Copied Tag

Any help/advice to help me solve this would be much appreciated!

Thanks heaps for taking a look!
sn00m

Do things work ok if you unpack the rars manually?

Try enabling debug mode as described here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-debug-mode/

Then email in the logs and I'll take a look.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for looking into this for me. To Answer your question, yes, when I extract the files manually, all is well, although I delete the resulting subs folder in between unpacking each rar file.

I have a created a small test batch (three multi-file RARs) which I can have Hazel work on in debug mode as suggested.

Is there any email in particular you prefer to receive the log file or do perhaps just a PM?

Thanks again for taking the time!

EDIT: I have cut and paste the log into a text document and also taken screenshots of results and also of result after manual extraction but am not able to attach them here or to a PM so can you please let me know where to send files?

Thanks again.
sn00m

Click on the "Contact support" button in Hazel's "Info" section.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Click on the "Contact support" button in Hazel's "Info" section.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just realised that mousing over the button gives me the address. Will send through the log now. :D

I know this may sound silly but as I have Hazel running on a headless server, it does not have any email clients configured on it so clicking the link goes nowhere. Is it possible that you PM me the email address please?

Sorry to be a pain.
sn00m

Just a quick update: After getting some help form Mr. Noodle and some experimenting, I discovered that one of my rules was somehow broken. When I went to edit it, Hazel suggested that there was a rule error which at a glance was simply incorrect. Anyway, I deleted the rule and recreated it exactly as it was before and the problem I was trying to fix was now gone!

Maybe upgrading from OS X 10.12 to 10.13 somehow broke the rule file in some way?

In any case, all is fixed and my subs are now all extracted as is my wont!

Edit: After even more investigation, it turns out that the rule I had worked but was a bit wonky with an unnecessary nested if. All fixed now thanks to the Great Noodler. :D
sn00m

Return to Support