Renaming of File Changes Files Properties

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:00 pm • by Sisko2010
Firstly I have to say how impressed I am with this application.

Summary
My issue is that when renaming a file using Hazel the file after processing activity is no longer
recognized as an avi file but as a document file. The result of this is that thumbnails for that movie
no longer appear.

Details:
If all of the following conditions are met
Extension is avi
Name matches [Show]. [Season]x[Episode] - [Title]

Do the following
Rename file with Pattern [Show] - S0[Season]E[Episode].avi

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Result
All of the following works just fine however the file is now recognized as text file (Quick time won't play it etc).
Sisko2010

Does the same thing happen if you rename it manually? When you do "Get Info" on the file in Finder, click on the pop-up for "Open with:". Is QuickTime an option there? If so, select it and do "Change all". Post back with your results.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:58 pm • by teedledee
I'm having the same problem. I have a rule that renames screenshots from the default Mac version (when you press command-shift 4 or 3) to a simpler version. The rule itself works fine and does what I want it to do, but it also ends up changing the document from a PNG to a "Document" and strips out the .png extension.

If I rename the file manually, the .png is still present, even if I hide extensions (I have a rule that hides all extensions in files placed on the desktop as well).

Any thoughts on what might be happening?
teedledee

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 pm • by sjk
teedledee wrote:I have a rule that renames screenshots from the default Mac version (when you press command-shift 4 or 3) to a simpler version. The rule itself works fine and does what I want it to do, but it also ends up changing the document from a PNG to a "Document" and strips out the .png extension.

Strange. I have a simple "Rename screencapture" rule that renames Desktop screencaptures with PNG extensions (and isn't removing them).

If I rename the file manually, the .png is still present, even if I hide extensions (I have a rule that hides all extensions in files placed on the desktop as well).

Why not just disable "Show all file extensions" in Finder > Preferences > Advanced? That's what I do even though it's not 100% effective.
sjk

Strange. I have a simple "Rename screencapture" rule that renames Desktop screencaptures with PNG extensions (and isn't removing them).

My rule applies to any file on the desktop that starts with "Screen shot", then renames it according to a pattern (lowercase, underscore separators, date, time with seconds). Nothing too fancy.

Why not just disable "Show all file extensions" in Finder > Preferences > Advanced? That's what I do even though it's not 100% effective.

This doesn't work all the time, as you say. As a result, I need to have a rule that does the equivalent of ticking the Hide Extension box in the Get Info window, which is 100% effective.
teedledee

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:18 pm • by sjk
teedledee wrote:My rule applies to any file on the desktop that starts with "Screen shot", then renames it according to a pattern (lowercase, underscore separators, date, time with seconds).

Mine simply does this on my Snow Leopard system:

On my semi-retired Leopard system, it renames the file with the same pattern as on Snow Leopard before moving it.

As a result, I need to have a rule that does the equivalent of ticking the Hide Extension box in the Get Info window, which is 100% effective.

Are you using SetFile or some other method to do it? Could that rule somehow be interfering with the one that does the renaming?
sjk

I'm so stupid. I didn't realize you have to put "extension" in the custom naming string you assemble from those blue ovals (I'm used to working in Bridge where you don't have to do that.)

Problem solved!

(Thank you for all your help.) =)
teedledee

teedledee wrote:I'm so stupid. I didn't realize you have to put "extension" in the custom naming string you assemble from those blue ovals (I'm used to working in Bridge where you don't have to do that.)

Problem solved!

(Thank you for all your help.) =)

This is awesome and thanks to all for reading working this through. We have our first newborn ( 2months old yesterday) so it has been hard for me to get back and respond.

So am I to understand the following...

In the naming string with the blue ovals place "extension" therefore in my case --> .avi. I believe that I tried that on my first attempt and it didn't work but will post back if it didn't work as suggest.
Sisko2010

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:36 pm • by skillet
Is it possible to have hazel auto remove underscores from a file name and replace them with spaces? I currently use QuicKeys to do this for all selected files but I would rather have this performed automatically by Hazel. I use a service that allows others to send me files through dropbox without an account http://dropitto.me and it auto puts underscores for file names that have spaces.
skillet

Use the rename action. Click on the "name" token and select "Replace text". There you can set it to replace characters.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:44 pm • by skillet
I see "Rename" in "Do the following to the matched file or folder" but I don't see "Replace Text". Sorry to be dense.
skillet

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:27 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Look in the pattern for the rename action. There should be a "name" token in there by default.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renaming of File Changes Files Properties Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm • by skillet
This is fantastic, I didn't realize there were more options in the name token itself by clicking on it and then clicking on it again when the "Type text and click/drag elements..." window comes up. This is fantastic and opens up another level of greatness of Hazel for me!

Thank you for the help.
skillet

Return to Support