Sort folder into subfolder by date doesn't work

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Ok, I'm a newbie but this is really bugging me. I actually followed the example in the video tutorial about 'sort folder into subfolder' ... and I picked some easy folders (maybe two levels down from my home ... that were various graphic files. I did a date created and edited the date pattern just like the video tutorial. Ran the rule and worked great. Fired up Hazel full time and went back latter to check ... it created a new subfolder with the current year/month and put all the previously created subfolders (going back several years) into that newer subfolder. Wow, following the tutorial to a T and this is what I get ... or maybe I'm missing something that's bloody obvious to everyone else.

Thanks for the help.
cmac611

I'd need to see the rule but my guess is that you set up the rule to move everything, including folders. I'd suggest tightening up the rule conditions. Use the preview function as well to test. If you are still having problems, then I suggest emailing support with a screenshot/export of your rules.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks, but that didn't really help ... as stated, I set up the rules exactly like the video tutorial except for specifying ... 'document' ... '.pdf'

I used 'any file' that doesn't require a qualifier. Works the first time it does the sort, but when running it creates an 'extra' subfolder I previously describe. To fix this 'bug' I changed from 'any file' to 'kind' with the qualifier 'image' and it works as advertised. My conclusion is that 'any file' creates the unwanted extra folder and Hazel thinks it's a 'file'. Just to satisfy my curiosity I tried the 'any file' on non-image files (documents, text, pdf's) and not surprisingly it did the same thing ... i.e., created a new 'current month' subfolder and then sorted the files in subfolders in that unwanted 'current month' folder. Again, when 'testing' the rule it performs as advertised ... but when Hazel starts to run it screws up and when it tries to run again on the incorrect sort you get an error message 'could not move file 2010-12 into subfolder 2010-12. Hope this long explanation helps you diagnose where the 'bug' is for this 'any file' issue.
cmac611

"Any file" matches everything. It's a catch-all meaning it will also match folders and anything else you throw at it. You don't want to use it except in the uncommon case where you want to match every possible thing.

By changing it to "Kind is image", you tightened up the conditions so that it would only match image files and not folders (including the ones it generates with the sort into subfolders action).

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

OK, good to go! Thanks for the help.
cmac611

Return to Support