Can Hazel automount DMG when an external drive is attached?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I've got a few external drives that have password protected DMGs on them. When I mount the drive I typically double-click the DMG to open it, and then I put in my password. What's different here is that I don't keep these drives listed on the desktop, so I have to go through the Finder sidebar to get to them.

I'd like for Hazel to be able to watch for the external drive to be mounted and then mount the DMG from there and ask for my input for the password.

Can I make this happen? And how do I do it?
luckie_reubs

First off, please keep questions like this to the support or open forums. As indicated at the top of the Tips forum, it's for people who have tips, not asking for them.

One way to do what you want is to have Hazel monitor the /Volumes directory. It's not visible in Finder; in the open dialog, just hit / and type in the name. All mounted disks show up here. From there, have a rule which looks for the specific disk to show up, then dig down into it (see the stickied article about going into subfolders) to find the DMGs and then use the "Open file" action to open them (it should open them in Finder which will in turn ask for the password).

That's the high level view of things. If you are still having problems putting it together, post back here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for the info and sorry for placing it in the wrong forum. I'll give that suggestion a try.
luckie_reubs

Return to Support