Hazel and Sparsebundle file systems

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel and Sparsebundle file systems Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:03 am • by lawrencehare
Hi, I have a number of password protected sparse bundle file systems which are closed when I am done with them and reopened when required. I have long used folder actions but find that I can associate an action with a folder it works fine up until I unload the sparse bundle. When I launch the file again and enter the password, then access all my files, everything is - of course, fine, as it better be!!! only the folder action has been forgotten.

I have a fairly complex applescript which takes files dumped into an Archive folder and adds them to a zip file which automatically adopts the name of the folder, so Spotlight can identify archive files for me. The original file is then deleted. When developing scripts, briefs, documents, etc., I use this method to keep a clean work environment and maintain a full audit trail or all work as it progresses. The first day I use the archive folder, I get a nice .zip file, every day from then on the file is simply dumped into the folder and not added to the zip file.

Would this work properly in Hazel? And - by reference - would all other folder actions and features of Hazel work properly with sparse bundle files when they are open and being used, and cause no problems when the sparse bundle file which contains the folder or action they are attached to is closed?

Thanks - Lawrence Hare
lawrencehare

Re: Hazel and Sparsebundle file systems Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:28 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If I remember correctly, there may be issues with Hazel (or anything else) keeping track of folders in a disk image as the disk image does not present a persistent identifier. I could be misremembering so the best way to find out is to test it yourself. Also, you can also try creating an alias on your desktop to that same folder and see if that alias is able to maintain itself after several mount/unmount cycles. Report back here with what you find.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support