Trash downloads

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Trash downloads Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 pm • by ryansebiz
I'd like Hazel to delete any files in my Downloads folder older than a week:

Unfortunately the rule provides no matches:

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
ryansebiz

Re: Trash downloads Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:16 pm • by dhy8386
ryansebiz wrote:I'd like Hazel to delete any files in my Downloads folder older than a week:

Unfortunately the rule provides no matches:

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Date added is not a system attribute but one that Hazel tracks. Therefore if you create a rule like you have and then apply it to a folder that already has contents, then hazel has no record of when those were added. Going forward, files added to that folder would be tracked and removed at the appropriate time.
dhy8386

Re: Trash downloads Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:39 pm • by Mr_Noodle
...err...what he said.

Really, dhy8386, are you gunning for a support position or something? :D
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Trash downloads Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:35 pm • by dhy8386
Haha...for better or worse just my personality. When i find a product i like and i think has tremendous value, enjoy being part of the community to help with it. More peeps that use it and are happy with it, the more that talk about it, the more that buy it, and thus the more motivation you have to make it better :)
dhy8386

Re: Trash downloads Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:21 pm • by ryansebiz
dhy8386 wrote:Yes. Date added is not a system attribute but one that Hazel tracks. Therefore if you create a rule like you have and then apply it to a folder that already has contents, then hazel has no record of when those were added. Going forward, files added to that folder would be tracked and removed at the appropriate time.

Unfortunately I've had this rule in place for about five months now. Any ideas why Hazel isn't picking it up?
ryansebiz

Re: Trash downloads Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:51 pm • by ryansebiz
dhy8386 wrote:not sure why hazel is not acting on your downloads folder. That rule i know works cause i have a similar one. Perhaps Hazel has just gotten messed up. I would try deleting the folder from hazel and re-adding it and the rule and then testing again with a few dummy files - just change added to 5 minutes instead of 1 week.

Deleting the folder and adding the rule back worked - thank you!
ryansebiz

Re: Trash downloads Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:53 pm • by Mr_Noodle
dhy8386: Well, it's good to have you here and thanks for all the help.

ryansebiz: Glad it's working now. I guess Hazel lost track of the folder somehow which may happen if you delete it and re-create it or do some combination of renaming it/moving it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support