A Few Issues I Can't Solve

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

A Few Issues I Can't Solve Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:50 am • by nids3rz
OK,
I have been using Hazel for over a month and everything worked well, but I have a new file handling system I want to work... to organize my media.

1. I have two folders that I am running rules on.
Torrents and its Sub-Folder "Sort".
When I click on Hazel and select "Run Rules" I can only click on "Torrents"
When I open Hazel and go back to menu bar and select "Run Rules" both show up. Why does this happen? Both my rules aren't showing up when I don't have system preferences (Hazel Pref Pane) open. :(
Is it because "Sort" folder is inside the "Torrents" folder?

2. Another problem
When I open Hazel, it says "Hazel Cannot Find Folder. Would you like to select another folder?"
Both the folders I am running the rules on exist and I have selected them.

3. When I do run the "Sort" Rules... which are to "Rename" the file first... and then "Move them"....
If I manually run the rules... it only renames the file and doesn't move them.
When I try to run a rule that is suppose to move files from the "Sort" folder to "TV shows" folder on an external HDD I get "cannot move file, source and destination are the same".

Then if I run the rules again... it moves the file.

Or if I leave it long enough, shows me the errors, and then it works. :\
If you need more clarification, let me know.

Edit: The "Sort" rules aren't even running when I click Run Rules...

I have checked the preview and it should work as it matches...

Any help?

Edit... just looked at the log and when I try to run the "Sort" rules this is the error:

2010-12-07 00:19:04.663 hazelfolderwatch[718] Could not determine source folder with identifier: 234881026-20568780

I have the files renaming working, but under the same folder after the files are renamed they are to be moved to a folder, but that doesnt happen for another 5 minutes after the file is renamed.

Sorry, thanks.
nids3rz

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm • by dhy8386
90210? Really?

Anyway. A few things.

I think your questions 1 and 2 are related. I have had the same issue and It results usually from changing the name of a folder after you have created the hazel rule. There should be no problem creating rules for folders and it's sub folders. Try this. Create a new folder called temp. Go into hazel and add it. Then drag your torrent folder rules and your sort folder rules into the temp folder. Then delete the torrent and sort folders from hazel and re add them. Then move the rules back into the torrent and sort folders from the temp folder and delete the temp folder. That should make them show up again in the hazel drop down menu and get rid of your error about missing folders.

As for your other issues I need to see or you need to describe exactly what rules you have in each folder and the order you have them. My guess is that you are trying to do too much within one rule and/or you have some rules misordered. You can export ur rules and then provide a link to download them or just describe them here.
dhy8386

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It appears Hazel has lost track of the folders. Have you renamed or moved them since adding them to Hazel? When you click on the folder asking to select a new one, go ahead and select it again in the open dialog otherwise its rules aren't going to run on the folder you think. Try that out and report back on the whether the rest of it is working.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:24 am • by nids3rz
Alright I have the folders sorted...
Now I have my rules, and both are matching, but it's not running the rule (to rename the file)... it works sometimes, sometimes it doesnt (even if I force to run rules).

And the 2nd part to this folder is to move the file... Sometimes when it does rename, it doesn't move the file (based on its new name).. and I have to click "run rules" again and then it moves...

But now I cant even get it to rename the files. Rules are matching.
Pleas let me know if you need more screen shots. Thanks for your help.

The first time I put these files in the folder it worked. Now it doesnt... Works on new files though.

My main concern is having the files moved as soon as its done renaming. Here is my rules:

The first time I forced running the rules, it moved the file. Now as I am doing testing, its not even moving the files (I haven't changed the rules). It is not matching the move file rule (shown above)... it did before and I haven't changed anything.

Not sure why this is happening. Thank you.
nids3rz

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:48 pm • by Mr_Noodle
The image isn't working for me. I suggest using a site like imgur.com to host the image.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm • by sjk
I'm seeing the image, with this URL:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2097/s ... 8at112.png
sjk

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 pm • by nids3rz
Yes thats the image. Can you see that link Mr.Noodle?
nids3rz

Re: A Few Issues I Can't Solve Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm • by nids3rz
I got it all sorted now. Thanks. Had to create some extra folders, and tweak my rules.
nids3rz

Return to Support