Embedded Applescript Error Runs fine outside of Hazel

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I embedded the following script in a Hazel rule (conditions of which are just label color):
Code: Select all
set myString to do shell script " /bin/ps -ax"
set allWords to (every word of myString)
set wordcount to 0
repeat with i in my allWords
   if i contains "HandBrakeCLI" then set wordcount to wordcount + 1
end repeat

if wordcount < 2 then
   activate application "Batch_Encode_Movies"
else
   error number -128
end if

And it throws up the following error:
2010-12-01 08:03:07.662 hazelfolderwatch[15472] [Error] AppleScript failed: Error executing AppleScript on file /Volumes/Hackintosh Companion/Movie Process/20.0 New AnyDVDHD Rips/You Don't Mess With The Zohan (2008).
2010-12-01 08:03:08.116 hazelfolderwatch[15472] AppleScript error: {
    NSLocalizedDescription = "allWords of \U00abscript\U00bb doesn\U2019t understand the count message.";
    NSLocalizedFailureReason = "allWords of \U00abscript\U00bb doesn\U2019t understand the count message.";
    OSAScriptErrorAppAddressKey = <NSAppleEventDescriptor: 'psn '("hazelfolderwatch")>;
    OSAScriptErrorAppNameKey = hazelfolderwatch;
    OSAScriptErrorBriefMessageKey = "allWords of \U00abscript\U00bb doesn\U2019t understand the count message.";
    OSAScriptErrorMessageKey = "allWords of \U00abscript\U00bb doesn\U2019t understand the count message.";
    OSAScriptErrorNumberKey = -1708;
    OSAScriptErrorOffendingObjectKey = <NSAppleEventDescriptor: 'obj '{ 'form':'usrp', 'want':'prop', 'seld':'utxt'("allWords"), 'from':'null'() }>;
  OSAScriptErrorRangeKey = NSRange: {0, 0};
}

This script runs fine in applescript editor program.

The script is meant to kick of a batch encode movies workflow i downloaded. The reason for the script is because the encode workflow kicks on a handbrake encode and I dont want more than 2 instances of handbrake running at the same time.

I am a super applescript noob so not sure what could be wrong since it works in applescript editor. Is it the nested shell script?
dhy8386

I'm not sure why the AppleScript is bombing but here's a more concise way of doing it:

set processCount to do shell script "/bin/ps -ax | grep -c HandBrakeCLI"

if processCount = "0" then
else
   error number -128
end if

Not sure if it will work around the problem but it's worth a shot.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm not sure why the AppleScript is bombing but here's a more concise way of doing it:

set processCount to do shell script "/bin/ps -ax | grep -c HandBrakeCLI"

if processCount = "0" then
else
   error number -128
end if

Not sure if it will work around the problem but it's worth a shot.

Much more eloquent but it seems to work inconsistently. If I run the do shell script with the grep command from applescript, it returns a value of 2 sometimes and other times a value of 1 (both if handbrake isnt running). This causes an inconsistency when i integrate this command into my script. Not sure why it does this....its so odd....i wish i understood this a little better.

Not a big deal at all but im sure as you know, always want to get to 100%
dhy8386

I don't know if it'll resolve your problem, but I'd replace the "ps" options with "-acx" to limit its output that's input for "grep" to only include the executable name (HandBrakeCLI) instead of the full command line.
sjk

Yeah, that would be a good idea. What I overlooked is that when you do a 'ps' with a 'grep' is that it sometimes picks up the grep command.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I sent dhy8386 PM with a longer explanation and example of "ps -c …" usage.
sjk

Works swimmingly. I did have to edit my script because that command with an -acx will error out if nothing is running and you grep for it. Here is the final applescript I use. Its amateur i am sure but it works. I am using an automator script which takes my blu rays and converts to MKV then uses Handbrake to Encode. There are actually 4 CLI apps that run at any time depending on where the process is at and I never want more than 2 running - just too processor intensive.

Much thanks again to both of you.

try
   set processcountMKV to do shell script "/bin/ps -acx | grep -c makemkvcon"
on error
   set processcountMKV to 0
end try

try
   set processcountMM to do shell script "/bin/ps -acx | grep -c mkvmerge"
on error
   set processcountMM to 0
end try

try
   set processcountME to do shell script "/bin/ps -acx | grep -c mkvextract"
on error
   set processcountME to 0
end try

try
   set processcountH to do shell script "/bin/ps -acx | grep -c handbrakecli"
on error
   set processcountH to 0
end try

try
   set origFilepath to quoted form of POSIX path of (theFile as alias)
   set shellCommand to "automator -i " & origFilepath & " '/Users/dhy/Library/Services/Batch Rip • Batch Encode (Finder)(Movie).workflow' ;"

delay 5

tell application "Finder"
      if label index of theFile = 6 then
         error number -128
      else if processcountMKV + processcountME + processcountMM + processcountH ≥ "2" then
         error number -128
      else
         do shell script shellCommand
      end if
   end tell
end try
dhy8386

Return to Support