Hazel renames Folders by itself

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel renames Folders by itself Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:01 pm • by Jo*
I setup a few rules in Hazel to move some files within folders that are on an external hdd. The rule applied is:

If all
date last matched - is not in the last - n-1 hours
date last modified - is not in the last - n hours

Do the following
move file - to folder XYZ (option if file exists: replace)
Send Growl notification

Anytime the drive is ejected/unmounted, Hazel unintentionally renames these folders in the left pane of the Hazel application window to 2 folders which are located on my Macintosh HD. It's always renamed to the same folders whenever the drive is ejected:

/System/Library/Screen Savers/Flurry.saver/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj/ConfigPanel.nib
and
/System/Library/Screen Savers/iTunes Artwork.saver/Contents/Resources

which is rather weird and definitively not something I want. Fortunately I got a load of Growl notifications on that (which indicated something was going wrong and alerted me) and moved the files back to their original location where needed. However, some were still in their original place although there were copies in the trash.

I already deleted the folders/rules and set them up again and the same occurs whenever I eject the drive.

There are other folders with rules on that same drive which only get crossed out with the red "X" once the drive is ejected which is probably intended bahaviour.

For the time being I have disabled all Hazel rules in order not to run into any havoc.

Any ideas what's going wrong?
Jo*

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:33 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If it's changing in Hazel's folder list then there's some odd alias thing going on. As a test, make an alias to those folders on your Desktop and see if they exhibit the same behavior.

Also, what are the paths of the original folders?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:12 pm • by Jo*
The paths of the original folders -- the ones I set up for rules to be applied on them by Hazel -- are:

1. /Volumes/Archive/BackUp/Email/Hauptidentitat_rge/
2. /Volumes/Archive/BackUp/Email_old

where Archive is one of two partitions on my external drive which serves as a repository for backups that I don't want to get overwritten by SuperDuper! - which is scheduled to make a bootable clone of my Macintosh HD to the other (much larger) partition on the external drive on a daily basis.

The backup of my email database to the partition Archive is scheduled to be performed only twice a week. This setup is supposed to help me preserve my email database in case the database gets corrupted but my main Backup gets overwritten by SuperDuper! before I notice any corruption.

Here is what the above listed path of drives/partitions/folders means:

Volume: ext. HDD
Archive: name of the partition
BackUp: folder that contains several subfolders with backups that I don't want to be overwritten (thus they are on the partition Archive)
Email: folder that contains several subfolders w/ email database backups
Hauptidentitat_rge: folder that contains an exported database of Entourage

Volume: ext. HDD
Archive: name of the partition
BackUp: folder that contains several subfolders with backups that I don't want to be overwritten (thus they are on the partition Archive
Email_old: folder where backups from the folder Email (see 1.) should get moved by Hazel after they are older than n hours. From there they should get moved to the trash after a certain amount of time.

Which folders do you want me to make an alias to?
Jo*

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Make aliases to both of the original folders. When you see Hazel doing this renaming, check the aliases as well and see if they changed to point to what Hazel is pointing to.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:42 pm • by Jo*
Excuse my thick-wittedness :o

Do you want me to make an alias of the original folders -- the ones I set up for rules to be applied on them by Hazel?

Where should I make that alias? On the external drive or the main internal drive?
Jo*

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yes, the original folders. For example, right click on /Volumes/Archive/BackUp/Email/Hauptidentitat_rge/ and do "Make alias". Drag the newly created alias file to your desktop so that you can watch it regularly to see if it changes when Hazel does.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 am • by Jo*
I did as you suggested and sure enough the alias folders on my desktop got renamed the second I unmounted the external drive. Same in Hazel where some folders got renamed whilst others got x-ed with a red "X" (intended behaviour).

So obviously not a problem related to Hazel but rather my file system seems screwed up.

When saying the alias folders got renamed that is: the alias folders itself on my desktop in column view kept their names, but when I highlight them (i.e. click on them once) the preview column to the right reveals that the folder is pointing to another folder.

Any idea what's goin' on? I searched on Google "finder folder alias renamed" (and similar) but couldn't find related topics.
Jo*

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:50 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I haven't seen anything like this before. Aliases usually try to stick to the same drive plus it's weird that the paths are so different.

I'll see if I can figure anything out but you can also search for "alias resolve" (the act of finding the path an alias points to is usually referred to as "resolving").
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:45 pm • by Jo*
Thanks. I looked for "alias resolve" and "alias resolving" and got a plethora of google results but nothing related to the problem I'm experiencing.

Have you been able to figure something out? Any other recommended place where I could ask?
Jo*

Re: Hazel renames Folders by itself Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Unfortunately, nothing comes to mind right now. You can try hitting up Apple support or even their forums. If you do find anything, post back here as I'm curious as to what could be causing this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support