Monitor number of items?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Monitor number of items? Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:42 am • by pmanuel
I'm new to Hazel and need some guidance.

I use Lightroom and have it set to backup my catalogs once a day. These backups accumulate in the designated backup folders. I would like to have Hazel monitor each backup folder and keep the 5 most recent backups.

Can this be done? If so, some tips on setting up the rule(s) would be appreciated.
pmanuel

Re: Monitor number of items? Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:42 pm • by Mr_Noodle
There is a Spotlight attribute "Number of Items" which applies to folders but there is no way currently of telling Hazel "the last 5 whatever". If the backups happens at regular periods, then you can trim them based on time. For instance, if backups happen every hour, then you can effectively trim it to 5 by setting a rule to throw away any older than 5 hours. Alternatively, you can write a script to do this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Monitor number of items? Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:04 pm • by pmanuel
Thank you for responding to my query.

I had considered a time or date based approach, but the backups do not take place at regular intervals. I may not use Lightroom for several days, then use it every day for a few days. With the backup setting that I have in place, Lightroom will back up the catalog once each day when I quit the program. So the 5 most recent backups could be made on 5 consecutive days but could equally be span several weeks.

I have been periodically deleting the older backups manually and will continue with this method.

Thanks again, Paul
pmanuel

Return to Support