Newbie Needs Help Unraring and Deleting

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Newbie Needs Help Unraring and Deleting Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:09 pm • by doscrash
Hi, I'm a real newbie and seem to be having trouble figuring out how to setup Hazel to scan a folder and its subfolders for RAR files, extract them all, and then delete the RARs so that only the extracted file remains. What rules, exactly, do I need to create for this? It seems so simple, but a lot of what I see here is terminal work, which I have to confess I have no clue about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!
doscrash

Re: Newbie Needs Help Unraring and Deleting Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:12 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Check the sticky thread at the top of this forum for going into subfolders: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=470

The unarchive action can handle RAR files and should throw them away for you when done so just create another rule to match RAR files to do that. I believe that should do it for you unless you are trying to do something more complex.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Needs Help Unraring and Deleting Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:35 am • by doscrash
Thanks for the tips! I tried this, but still had problems. I tried to scan some folders on my NAS.

Hazel extracted and then deleted some of the archives but I couldn't find the extracted file in the directory that it was supposed to be in -- hope they didn't disappear completely! Any idea where I can find them?

Finally instead of deleting the archives off my NAS, it copied them over the network to the trash folder of my MacBook :-(. Any suggestions for how to fix this?
doscrash

Re: Newbie Needs Help Unraring and Deleting Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm • by Mr_Noodle
They should be extracted in the same folder the archive was in. Check the logs to see what happened. Go to the "Info" pane and click "View Log". Search for the specific files there.

As for the trash thing, Hazel tries to use the trash on the same drive but if it can't (can't get write permission or whatnot), it ends up using the main drive. Try throwing away something in Finder on that drive and see where it goes.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support