move folder which contains mp3s to folder "music"

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

hey folks,
i'm new to HAZEL...and it would be cool, if anyone could make a step by step tutorial for me.
i need to move a folder which contains mp3s and maybe some jpgs to another folder called "music"...

i don't get it....
sorry!
brockxtar

Do you want to move the folders themselves or the files inside them? How are you determining whether the folder should be moved? It might help if you provide a concrete example of what you are trying to do.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

it should always be the whole folder moved. for example i have an folder metallica - bla, with mp3s in it and this one should be moved to "music".
brockxtar

is there a solution?
brockxtar

So, you want to move folders that have mp3's in them? Check the sticky article at the top of this forum on how to get Hazel to go into the subfolders.

From there, create another rule to match the mp3 files themselves. Now, here's the tricky part. Use the script here: viewtopic.php?p=1545#p1545

What that does is tell Hazel to use the parent folder in subsequent actions in that rule. So, if you do a move action after that, it will move the parent folder and not the file itself.

Give that a shot and report back if you are having problems with specific parts.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support