Moving files from multiple subfolders to one top level folde

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have a folder with multiple subfolders. Each subfolder contains videos. What I want to do is move each video file from it's respective subfolder to a new, top level folder rather than using the finder to open each subfolder, copy, then paste. So far all I can get Hazel to do is move the entire subfolder with it's video contents - can anyone help me with the rules?

Under conditions, I have specified "Kind is folder"

Under actions, I have instructed Hazel to "move file to 'folder'" and "run rules on folder contents".

I know I probably need the file extension .Avi in there but when I add it none of the files show up in the rule preview.
snpower

I suggest reading this (it's marked as sticky at the top of this forum): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=470

That should hopefully clear it up for you.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

That post was reviewed and the rule downloaded, then modified, to move .Avi files to a new folder. The only rule that matches when run is the "Go into subfolders" rule, which is why I was asking for help.
snpower

Going by your description, you are not following the part of that article which indicates a common mistake of combining the logic of two different things into one rule. Please read from the part starting with "Now how does it not work?".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

All set – I had to reorder my rules and put one calling for the .Avi files to be moved right after the rule telling Hazel to go into subfolders. Thanks.
snpower

I have never managed to get this to work. For such an obvious use case for Hazel, it is beyond belief that this is not more straightforward.

There are multiple forum posts on this very topic, with very few people seemingly able to get it to work.

I wonder would you mind sharing your rules?
Last edited by s0uthpaw on Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s0uthpaw

If you read the manual and are still having problems, then please post what you have so far. I can't help if you don't provide details.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:If you read the manual and are still having problems, then please post what you have so far. I can't help if you don't provide details.

Thanks. I want to move files within nested folders back to the parent folder.

I have multiple folders inside a main folder called Video. Each subfolder contains video files.

I can get Hazel to enter the subfolders, and for example apply a blue tag (as in the example), but I cannot get it to move files out of the subfolders back into the main parent folder.
s0uthpaw

Can you post screenshots of your rules? You can use imgur.com to host your images if you don't have a sharing service of your own.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support