Adobe Acrobat DC

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Adobe Acrobat DC Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 am • by jbc424
I am trying to get hazel to use adobe acrobat dc to OCR my PDF's I save to my desktop. I see lots of help with PDFPEN Pro, but I can not seem to find any help with Adobe Acrobat. I would like a simple rule that just watches my desktop and ocr's the saved PDF's.
jbc424

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
Search on these forums as well as the net at large as I believe people have come up with AppleScripts to use Acrobat with Hazel.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 pm • by jbc424
I found a few, but nothing for the current version of Acrobat DC. I broke down and got pdfpen pro. I would still like to find a script though. Hopefully someone out in cyber land will see this and share. Or eventually I will learn enough to write the script myself. Cheers!

Hazel still blows my mind! I totally love it!
jbc424

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 am • by Mr_Noodle
There's a script done by Katie Floyd. Search the support knowledgebase as it is linked there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 pm • by jakehimes
Mr_Noodle, I'm in the same boat with jbc424...

I tried searching the noodlesoft knowledge base and found nothing regarding Adobe Acrobat DC. Do you have a link? In fact, this thread is the only thing I could find specifically regarding getting Hazel to interact with Acrobat DC via scripts. From what I've read from various places online, none of the AppleScripts from past versions of Acrobat can be applied to Acrobat DC.

Like jbc424, I purchased PDFPenPro recently because it was apparently friendly with Hazel and the cost of ownership is less than Acrobat. However, I'm not a fan of PDFPenPro's OCR capabilities. I can't figure out how to achieve 300x300 dpi or better quality, accurate OCR, and file size less than 250-500 KB per page. I really want to figure out how to OCR in the most optimized way possible (before I go too far down the rabbit hole with a paperless filing system), and it seems to me that Adobe's "Editable Text and Image" (previously known as "ClearScan") is the only offering of its kind out there.

So, unless someone can correct my thinking above, I'd really like to figure out if it's possible to have Hazel execute commands within Adobe Acrobat DC, so I can decide whether to buy an Acrobat DC subscription. I thought about asking Adobe support, but I'd rather not buy a subscription just so I can ask the question.
jakehimes

Re: Adobe Acrobat DC Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:10 pm • by Mr_Noodle
If they don't provide support without a subscription then that may be a bad sign. If you aren't happy with PDFPen Pro then there are other products out there for OCR you can try out. Maybe ABBYY Finereader?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support