Problem getting duplicated folders after running a rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I Have set somes rules in my download folder so when a file is downloaded, it is place in a folder by year then sort in subfolders by kind. Where I have a problem is that when downloading new files as the time past, It put it in duplicates folders. Ex. Yesterday I may have download let say a file called FILE1.zip, It put it in /download/2010/ZIP Files. Then today I download a new file name FILE2.zip. Well instead of placing it in /download/2010/ZIP Files, It recreate a new ZIP Files folder in /download/2010/. So I have two subfolders having the exact same name (ZIP Files) in the folder 2010. Is there a way that the SORT IN FOLDER command place the files in existing folders instead of recreating the same folders? I wouldn't want to have 10 or more folder name ZIP Files.

phototech

First off, do not post support questions to the Tips & Tricks forum. There is a sticky article up top telling you not to. If this keeps up I may have to have all articles to that forum approved before they are posted.

You can't have two files/folders with the exact same name in the same folder. The filesystem won't allow it. Hazel will use an existing folder but I suspect there is something where the second folder has an extra invisible character (a space at the end perhaps?) in the name. Is it possible the way you set up the sort into subfolders action that it may introduce such characters into the name? I suggest checking that out. If you are a registered user, I'd suggest exporting the rule in questions and emailing it to me (click on the "Contact Support" link in the "Info" pane).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I don't find the "INFO" pane for emailing you my rule. I've make another message about this issue but this time I've post it in the Support section with 2 screenshot of my problem... one showing the rule used, and the other showing the result (duplicated folder).

Thanks
phototech

In Hazel, along the top, you have "Folders", "Trash" and "Info". Click on the last one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support