Move original File after OCR into trash

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move original File after OCR into trash Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 am • by Kontor23
Hi,

I have 2 Folders called Inbox and OCR. First I have a Hazel rule which recognizes if a file has no OCR. If this is the case, Hazel move the file into the OCR Folder. I use Abbyy Finereader in Combination with Automator, so that when the File is moved in the OCR Folder, Finereader makes an OCR recognition and copy the finished File back into the Inbox folder. The problem is only that the old original File without OCR stays in the OCR folder. So I try to set a rule with hazel, that after OCR recognition the file should be moved from the OCR folder to trash. Has anyone an Idea how I can accomplish that? Thank you

Greetings
MaK
Kontor23

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you using Hazel to trigger the OCR? If so, you can have Hazel throw away the file afterwards. Or if Finereader has some option to tag a file after its done, you can use Hazel to look for that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm • by Kontor23
I'm using Automator to watch the OCR Folder for changes. There is a "Convert to PDF Document" option from Abbyy like here: https://knowledgebase.abbyy.com/article/1702 . I have only the option to chose an output file name, but no tagging. Any Ideas? Thank you

Regards
Maurice
Kontor23

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 am • by Mr_Noodle
Consider having Hazel trigger the Automator workflow. Then after running the workflow, you can do whatever you want with the file. Note, though, that this is dependent on whether the workflow waits for the OCR to finish or if it returns control back to Hazel while it does the OCR in its own thread.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am • by Kontor23
I would also prefer to trigger the Finereader workflow with Hazel, but I don't know how to do this. The thing is that with the pdf to document Automator rule I can choose things like image quality, pdf/a compliant - I don't know how I should accomplish that with Hazel. Please help. Thank you
Kontor23

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You still have the Automator workflow but you have Hazel triggering it instead. That way you can keep all the functionality but have Hazel manage it and be able to run actions afterwards.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 pm • by Kontor23
Sounds good :),

how can I accomplish that Hazel triggers the Automator workflow?
Kontor23

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:23 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You can use the "Run automator workflow" action to do that. Make sure the workflow takes a file as input as Hazel will pass that in.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm • by Kontor23
Now I've got it. Thank you very much
Kontor23

@kontor23, do you mind posting your Automator Workflow?

I have used PDFPenPro for OCR, however some of the OCRs are not quite right... wondering if FineReader Pro is able to do it better.

I looked at Automator with FineReader services - i cannot see an OCR. There is a convert to PDF, however does not execute the OCR.
Looked at other posts on the forum and google, can't seem to find a working example with either applescript/ hazel/ finereader TIA
jamwithtoast

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:31 pm • by Kontor23
Unfortunately I can't upload a picture, but the automator workflow is a folder action with the abbyy convert to pdf action - I changed here nothing expect the folder where to save the pdf after our.
Last edited by Kontor23 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kontor23

Re: Move original File after OCR into trash Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:28 pm • by Mr_Noodle
You can use another site to host pics. If you have a Cloud sharing service, you can use that or imgur.com is free.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support