Processing Files in Subfolders Problem

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Processing Files in Subfolders Problem Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 am • by donebylee
I have tried following the rule setup in the How to get Hazel to go into subfolders thread and it doesn't seem to work for the situation I am trying to do.

I want Hazel to add OpenMeta Tags to files in subfolders when they are added.

However this rule would need to be copied to every subfolder to work. And I frequently add new subfolders and remembering to copy over the rule is a pain I am hoping to avoid.

I tried adding the "Kind is Folder" combined with "Run rules on folder contents" as suggested in other thread but it doesn't work. Nothing gets processed.

I tried having it as the first rule under the main folder and as the last rule (there is only the one rule illustrated above in the main folder).

Suggestions?

All is help is appreciated.
donebylee

Re: Processing Files in Subfolders Problem Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
I think the problem here is the condition. 1 minute may be too small a time for Hazel to get to the file. Partly because it may not trigger for a couple minutes but also because it has to traverse the folder structure to get to the file.

If you want to make sure a rule fires when a file is first added, the best way is to do:

If Date Added is after Date Last Matched

This should be true regardless of when Hazel happens to encounter the file. This would still work, for example, if you stopped Hazel then added a file then started it some time later. Anything based on "is in the last" wouldn't work in such a case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Processing Files in Subfolders Problem Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:23 am • by donebylee
I tried your suggestion and still no joy, but I changed the time limit from 1 minute to 5 minutes and for some reason that worked!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Why it works that way and not like you said is weird, but a solution is a solution…

Thanks again.
donebylee

Re: Processing Files in Subfolders Problem Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 pm • by Mr_Noodle
My solution may not have worked on files that were already there but it should work on new files. If it doesn't then maybe check the preview and also send me any logs as I suspect there is something wrong there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Sorry for silly question but where/how do you use Openmeta tags with Hazel? My "Do the following" list does not have Openmeta tags as an option like your screenshot.
groomedmonkey

Re: Processing Files in Subfolders Problem Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 pm • by sjk
groomedmonkey wrote:Sorry for silly question but where/how do you use Openmeta tags with Hazel?

Have you checked search results for OpenMeta?
sjk

No I obviously didn't... but now I'm at the top of said page looking like a fool! baahaha - *sigh*
groomedmonkey

Re: Processing Files in Subfolders Problem Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Don't sweat it. We all have our own lapses.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support